ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Working with CenterCut-Safe and a 2.35 Film

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ward Bank
Working with CenterCut-Safe and a 2.35 Film
on Oct 28, 2010 at 12:58:36 am

Hello, all...

I am having trouble articulating to our finisher why exactly, when I create 1920x1080 CenterCut graphics, then place them in a 720x486 comp, scaled down 45%, to match the CC title-safe, they do not match the 2.35 SD offline, when the offline is later blown-up for reference, edge to edge in a 1920x1080 comp.

I know this is because of the aspect ratios going back and forth, but I do not know how to explain the math around it.

Should I be doing it a different way? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Working with CenterCut-Safe and a 2.35 Film
on Oct 29, 2010 at 10:14:54 pm

1920x1080 isn't a 2.35:1 ratio. I don't have the precise ratio in front of me, but I think it's 1.85:1

...which would explain a lot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Pat Beattie
on Oct 29, 2010 at 11:03:26 pm

1920x1080 is 1.78

The problem I am having is that the client wonders why the SD offline doesn't match the CC finish... The offline they are watching is 2.35 fit to SD, and the finish is 2.35 fit to HD... The graphics do not change in terms of CC safe.

The graphics are built in HD, CC safe. Then I render a cropped CC version (720x486) so the broadcast version will be nice and big, as the client likes them.

Maybe the question is, big cropped 720x486 gfx work better on an SD screen, while the CC version in HD, just looks better as is.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 29, 2010 at 11:15:54 pm

If the the graphics remain 4x3 title safe in both, sounds as if the client's seeing the difference in 2.35 as it appears in a 4x3 offline and a 16x9 online.
The graphics are in the same place and are the same relative size in both, but the image behind them varies due to the different aspect ratios.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Pat Beattie
on Oct 29, 2010 at 11:29:30 pm

That's correct. I'm glad you were able to make sense of what I was describing.

Is there a clever way of making a what-you-see-is-what-you-get that can finish the same way, without doing extra work?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 2, 2010 at 9:20:47 pm

I can't think of a way to do it. That's the problem with working with three different aspect ratios: there really isn't a "one size fits all" solution.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Pat Beattie
on Nov 2, 2010 at 9:26:10 pm

Thank you very much for your responses. I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]