ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion Graphics Resolution

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Muncy
Motion Graphics Resolution
on Oct 21, 2010 at 1:07:48 am

I have been having trouble making my motion graphics keep a high resolution. They always seem to be grainy, and lose their crispness when I bring them into Final Cut Pro.

Does anyone have a recommended workflow on how to get the best high resolution graphics. When I mean graphics, I am simply speaking of text on screen, and something along the lines of lower thirds. My workflow has been mainly building text and the motion of the text in Motion and then exporting into Final Cut Pro.

I also have photoshop and after effects and didn't know if I should make my text and graphics in Photoshop and then export into Motion to add motion? Or can I get high resolution text by simply building it in Motion.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Most of my Final Cut Pro projects or not in HD, but I still think the graphics should look good over the video, which was been very hard for me to maintain.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Motion Graphics Resolution
on Oct 21, 2010 at 3:29:53 pm

Now, you DO understand that you can NEVER judge the quality of graphics in a video file by looking at those little pea-shooter FCP viewers, correct?

You DO understand that looking at a broadcast monitor is the ONLY way to judge the look of graphics, right?

I do a BUNCH of motion graphics in AE. When I look at them on my FCP viewers, they look God-awful. When I look at them on my monitor, they look just fine. HD, SD, doesn't matter -- they look good on the monitor, but not in the FCP viewer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dustin Muncy
on Oct 21, 2010 at 3:47:07 pm

Yes I do understand that (I found that out awhile ago when freaking about a project and the graphics); however, most of the videos that I make are being viewed over the internet and/or just over a computer. I just feel for some reason I am not getting the most crisp and clean graphics that I can get. Especially when it comes to just putting some simple motion text on the screen.

Watching other videos on the web i.e. company promotional videos or what not. The graphics and text seem to pop more and look clean.

I just want to make sure I am getting the most out of my software, and want to make sure there isn't something that I am missing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 21, 2010 at 3:51:24 pm

So how do they look on your monitor, then?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 25, 2010 at 11:01:55 pm

When exporting out the video from Motion make sure it is set to Best. Motion defaults to Normal. That will sharpen up your text if it is not sharp.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]