ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

deinterlace with timewarp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Wrightdeinterlace with timewarp
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 9:17:56 am

Did you know that if you separate the fields in draft mode and use the other field as a warp guide for timewarp, you can deinterlace often with better quality than AE's preserve best edges.

replace lowerfield and upperfield with same footage
AE CS3 aep setup for ntsc dv lowerfield

Return to posts index

Chris Wright-
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 9:08:22 pm

Return to posts index

Chris Wrightdenoise and remove scratches
by on Oct 27, 2010 at 8:13:33 pm

so far it can fix...

1. shakyness, pans, tilts, zooms, stop motion, frame rate convert, deinterlace, deartifact,

...and now, after testing some WW1 footage, apparently can automatically denoise and remove splotches and scratches. not bad for free.

if you want more denoise and splotch removal, just lower timewarp to 20 and timestretch the video 2 comp 1 to 20% also. It will keep the same speed but warp over a longer time making objects that don't exist for very long, disappear.

Return to posts index

Jim ArcoRe: deinterlace with timewarp
by on Oct 28, 2010 at 2:10:11 pm

As always, I find your projects useful and highly educational. This one is a bit of a render hog (as we could expect with time-warping,) but VERY interesting!

Maybe you can help my feeble brain work through exactly what is happening here. I can see that the lower field is getting 'stretched' and motion-blurred on the basis of the upper field in the timewarp comp. Does the upper field ever get time manipulated?

I can't see where both fields ever got their time cut in half, so that the the stretching works correctly. Maybe time-remapping?

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: deinterlace with timewarp
by on Oct 28, 2010 at 7:06:30 pm

The warp layer is usually a better version of the original footage, if you read the help file it says so. reading the foundry's kronos pdf gives more detail about local estimation. i tricked timewarp into using a whole different frame to warp the fields together.

The lower field shouldn't get motion blurred if the motion blur is off, but in low quality footage with small details, sometimes turning off the warp layer improves the antialiasing creating really really nice deartifacting capabilities. yes, the upper field is timestretched at 50%.
There's no timeremapping. and ww1 footage has fields off.

another feature is fps changing. if you change the final output comp to a new framerate, it will automatically interpolate eg 23.976 film look from 59.94 fields/sec. as long as you match the timestretch of the 2comp and timewarp comp, you can trade smoothness for artifacts. they cancel each other out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved