ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Working forth between Premiere and After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Twan PeetersWorking forth between Premiere and After Effects
by on Jun 5, 2014 at 11:40:05 am

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice about working working between Adobe Premiere and After Effects.

I do a lot of promotional films, and typically I edit in Première and do the colorgrade and maybe some special effects in After Effects. Now I am trying to find a way to being able to still change my edit in Premiere, while maintaining my colorgrade in After Effects.

When I made my last promo film I edited everything in Première, then imported the Première project in After Effects and applied the colorgrade. After I delivered the film to the client, they gave some feedback and I had to make some changes in the edit. This caused me to change the edit in Première, and then do the whole process of colorgrading again in After Effects. It is such a pain in the ass and takes so much time!!

I would love to see a functionality where I can change the edit slightly in Première, and then my After Effects get's automatically updated and I just have to change the colorgrade for the shots that have changed..

I am already looking in to Adobe Dynamic Link, and it seems that it will help me a lot already, but I am just searching for the most efficient workflow. (

Hope someone can give me tips and advice!

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Working forth between Premiere and After Effects
by on Jun 5, 2014 at 5:01:43 pm

Dynamic Link is the only way to have changes in Premiere be reflected in After Effects. Read this [link] to learn more.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Working forth between Premiere and After Effects
by on Jun 5, 2014 at 7:22:34 pm

Dynamic link is the way to go but be for warned that you'll most likely have to render the AE project files in your timeline in order to watch your video.

I typically try to get the video approved before I do any color grading. That doesn't guarantee that you won't have to make changes but it reduces the amount.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Working forth between Premiere and After Effects
by on Jun 5, 2014 at 8:43:24 pm

What the other gents said.

Barring tricky effects work, color grading is typically the final step in the workflow... for reasons that are now annoyingly obvious to you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved