ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

draw a marquee selection

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Dupstadraw a marquee selection
by on May 20, 2014 at 10:51:46 pm

Looking to draw a marquee selection around some specific scattered nulls in my comp. Want to weave my selection around some FG nulls.
I understand I can drag a square marquee that limits me to a fixed selection.
NUKE, PFtrack, and many other apps allow you to use option or command to draw your selection. I am sure AEcc can do this right?
Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading and helping out on this!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: draw a marquee selection
by on May 20, 2014 at 11:30:45 pm

Selecting layers:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Anthony DupstaRe: draw a marquee selection
by on May 21, 2014 at 11:04:19 pm

After reading through the link, the answer is: Drum roll...
" 2014, AEcc can not manually draw a marquee around elements in the composition window. You are limited with a "fixed square marquee selection tool."
So when a user wants to draw a selection around specific nulls in the composition window, 150 nulls located within a point cloud of a tracked Car, and the car is not shaped like a perfect square...users are Out of luck in AE. Got to use a square marquee tool and shift click all those little buggers.

That would be a helpful feature for the future. Free hand marquee tool, Something users have come accustom to while using, Nuke, PFtrack, boujou, motion, Photosop, AI, Fusion, C4D, and Maya. Pretty solid concept and worthwhile for AE to explore for the future! :)

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: draw a marquee selection
by on May 27, 2014 at 6:33:06 pm

Here's AE's feature request form [link]. The more people request a feature, the more likely it is to be implemented.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved