ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Marauder's Map effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian SchleeMarauder's Map effect
by on Apr 18, 2010 at 11:11:55 pm

Hello all,

I am a middle school teacher looking to recreate the text reveal of the marauder's map seen when the wand touches the map in the Harry Potter films (not the phantom footprints sequence) and I was wondering if anyone could help me? I'm not looking for a tutorial per se, but the series of steps one would take in order to recreate the effect somewhat easily in after effects. As you might imagine, time is at a premium but I am looking to do the effect as realistically as possible. Thanks so much for reading!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Marauder's Map effect
by on Apr 19, 2010 at 2:44:59 am

You don't necessarily need AE to do this, you can do it right within your NLE's timeline...

The text is on a separate video track, preferably in a still graphic format like Photoshop psd, targa, tif or png, anything really with an alpha channel... use a particular blend mode choice like maybe screen to get it to show up on the map paper part. Try different blend modes for different effects. Use a very soft-edged wipe pattern, or a mask with soft edges, keyframed, to get the slow smooth reveal like a polaroid developing from the center outwards.

Return to posts index

Brian SchleeRe: Marauder's Map effect
by on Apr 19, 2010 at 3:15:45 am

Thanks for the advice. Here's the thing, I have the map complete with text on it. What I am trying to do is start with "empty" parchment then reveal the text underneath. Would I use the clone stamp tool to clone a blank section of the paper across the entire map? What would you suggest?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Marauder's Map effect
by on Apr 19, 2010 at 11:32:11 am

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved