ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Wang Chung Effect help

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
frank nadal
Wang Chung Effect help
on Mar 8, 2010 at 1:29:31 am

I understand how to produce the footage for a Wang Chung "everybody have fun tonight" style video, but is there a plug-in or an easy way to clip out the footage?

For example. I need to remove one second of footage every other second.

It is very tedious to do it by hand for a video that is a couple of minutes long, I just didn't know if there was another way. I have both Adobe Premier and After Effects CS3.

Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Wang Chung Effect help
on Mar 8, 2010 at 11:05:02 pm

[frank nadal] "I need to remove one second of footage every other second. "

So put the clip in the edit timeline of your editing application, go in a second, split the clip, go two more seconds, split the clip, and repeat until you're done. Then remove every other split piece and slide 'em together. How tough is that?

[frank nadal] "is there a plug-in or an easy way to clip out the footage? "

The procedure described above IS the easy way to do it. A plugin for that lies in realm of magic wands and wishful thinking.

Start splitting clips.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 11, 2010 at 4:41:53 pm

Hmmm. What if you exported the clip as a stack of targa files to a folder, an image sequence. Then in photoshop, you would need to create a droplet or recorded action that would select every second or fourth or eighth frame, whatever, and cut everything in the image leaving empty alpha channel in the place of it. Re-importing the image sequence back to the timeline you would stack this modified version above the second nearly-identical track and let the gaps allow the lower track to show thru. So you're only cutting on one track, not two.

But first I would set up the two clips in multiclip and see if I could hit the take button toggle fast and rythmically enough to just do it that way. Load up on jolt or Red Bulls first to get that spazzy caffeinated Asteroids and Galaga player reflex action:-)

When I played around with this effect back in the day, I just pounded the hell out of the take button on my switcher while running an A/B synch roll of the two shots onto a new master. It was more organic that way and closer to the look of the original.

It suddenly occurs to me that you could perhaps create an effect in Apple Motion of a solid plane of alpha info that spins or manifests in and out at a set rate like a shutter, and apply that effect to one of two stacked clips to alternately obscure and reveal one track. it would be more robotic than stabbing the take button like Jerry Lee Lewis on the piano, till your finger bleeds.

Return to posts index

frank nadal
on Mar 11, 2010 at 4:57:12 pm

Thank you both for responding. I've worn my finger to the bone so far haha.

Return to posts index

Amir Abed
on Apr 15, 2010 at 3:31:58 am

I don't know the wang chung effect but I'm assuming its a sort of stutter effect. Try this take your sequence and nest it in a new one change the speed to 200% nest that sequence into a new sequence and change the speed to 50% experiment with differnt speeds until you get the desired effect.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 15, 2010 at 6:15:04 am

The original effect is done by taking two similar but not exact takes of the singer, lining them up in synch with the audio track, then inter-cutting rapidly between the two, which can almost look like 3-d if the frequency is right.

"Oh, you wanted to RECORD that?"

Return to posts index

joe kaye
on Apr 15, 2010 at 9:33:59 am

it depends on how many takes you have to cut between - with 3 or more you could automate the process in after effects with the strobe light filter;

sync up all your takes in a composition and apply the strobe light filter to all but the bottom layer - set the strobe to "makes layer transparent" and adjust the duration, period, and (i would) random strobe probability to be slightly different on each instance of the effect - you'll have to experiment a bit to get a good consistency for the effect but it will work

this way you could set up a few different comps with different settings and then pick and choose the best parts to cut together...

jjjjjjj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]