Hardware for Render farm
by john kleber on Mar 2, 2010 at 6:10:39 pm
Hello Cow Community,
This is my first post and I am hoping to get some feedback on building a render farm/distributed processing network. Essentially I have been given a budget to purchase the components for a render farm. I am going to be using it to create motion graphics with After Effects CS4, Cinema 4D, and Maya on two Mac Pro 8-core workstations. I am considering using Prime Focus Deadline or PipelineFX Qube for the render manager.
Here are my fundamental questions:
1. What CPUs should I purchase for the render nodes (i.e. Mac minis, Xserves, etc?)
2. How are these nodes configured as a network (ethernet, etc.)
3. Is there a good tutorial on setting up the hardware of a Render Farm andy where that is not the one on Extremetech,com? I need something that is a little more in depth.
4. What about licensing? do I need to have copies of my software on all of the CPUs in my cluster?
5. Does anyone currently do something similar and is willing to share in depth what their process and the pitfalls were?
Thank you very much everybody.
Senior Video Systems Engineer
BET Networks, NY, NY
ACSR Elite | Final Cut Pro
212.975.3156 | 917.512.1631