ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

CG Titles Used As Part Of Scenery

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harvey CaplanCG Titles Used As Part Of Scenery
by on Feb 23, 2010 at 4:31:33 pm

Titles of places that the characters of the Fox show, "Fringe" go to, seem to hang in the air as though they are part of the scenery/set.

For example, if the camera panning an outdoor scene pans right, the CG title moves to the left, exactly at the same speed as the camera movement. The title also changes aspect/angle as the camera changes angle, slightly.

Now, this same effect is being used in some TV commercials. I'm sure this could be done manually, but with a lot of trial and error. There must be a software program that can accomplish this, much easier. Anybody know what it is?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: CG Titles Used As Part Of Scenery
by on Feb 23, 2010 at 5:15:13 pm

It's 3D matchmove software, which analyzes camera motion. You can use the data generate by the analysis to move a camera in something like After Effects or a real 3D application.

Google Syntheyes.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paolo CicconeRe: CG Titles Used As Part Of Scenery
by on Feb 23, 2010 at 5:27:48 pm

The workflow goes like this:

- Shoot the footage.
- Import the footage into a 3D tracking software. Syntheyes works wonderfully:
- Once Syntheyes solves the scene and creates the 3D trackers you need to export the data to a 3D modeling software. I use Blender and it works perfectly (
- In Blender you open the exported scene which creates an animation with the geometry corresponding to the real-life scene. Since this is accurate, every object that you place in it will track with the real life camera.
- Add some 3D text, see my "Blender Survival Guide - part 3" to learn how. The 3D text now fits the scene.
- Light the scene to match the original footage, add some Ambient Occlusion to the text for added realism.
- Render the scene as a series of frames (PNG/TIFF) with an alpha channel.
- Import the original footage and the rendered one in After Effects, compose it and render it.

Sound like I'm gonna have to make a tutorial :) After I'm done with the Survival Guide...

Paolo Ciccone

Return to posts index

Harvey CaplanRe: CG Titles Used As Part Of Scenery
by on Feb 23, 2010 at 7:28:55 pm

Thank you, guys, for your quick replies.

And yes, by all means, a video tutorial is always welcome.

Bloodshot eyes, sore back, numb right arm- it's only video editing, but I like it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved