ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Looking for Keyable Card Stunt Sotck Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Ellison
Looking for Keyable Card Stunt Sotck Footage
on Feb 19, 2010 at 6:06:29 pm

I'm looking to create a card stunt motion graphic (where each member of a crowd in a stadium holds up a card to produce an image, and then flips the card to produce another image).

I'm familiar with the After Effects "card wipe" plugin, but to make the effect better, it would be nice to start with a stock video where the crowd is sitting and then they all hold up cards.

I'm looking for a stock video that has a crowd that all holds up keyable green cards and then flip them to a keyable blue side.

Does anyone know if such a stock shot exists? I'm assuming that if the cards were keyable, then sports broadcasting companies would do this all the time, so they could key any advertiser they wanted onto the cards.

I've searched all of the standard stock video sites to no avail. I'm wondering if someone could point me to a direction where I could find such a shot, or confirm my suspicion that such a shot does not exist, because it would be impossible to key.

Anthony Ellison, New York City
anthonyaellison@gmail.com
anthonyellison.com

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Looking for Keyable Card Stunt Stock Footage
on Feb 19, 2010 at 7:03:28 pm

You realize that what you're asking for will look terrible, right?
Think about it. If they're holding up chroma-colored cards the image will not move with the card. It'll just be showing the image where each card is. Then when they flip it, it won't move, it'll just sorta disappear.
You can try this yourself by using card wipe in a precomp and having one side be blue and the other side green. Pretend that precomp is your keyable footage and try it out.
To get the image to move like it was on the cards, you would have to motion track the four corners of each and every card (which would be a mess since in your scenario since they're all the same color) and apply a corner pin transform to a tiny piece of your logo, etc. (Which you would have to cut out yourself.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Looking for Keyable Card Stunt Sotck Footage
on Feb 19, 2010 at 11:59:11 pm

I'm with Michael -- not only would it look bad, you'd have a difficult time pulling two simultaneous chroma key, because there ain't no card section on the planet that can turn cards in perfect synchronization. Some will lead, and some will straggle on the transition.

You're really better off doing it with AE's Card Wipe. The effect can use a gradient to "shape" the card turns, and there are a lot of settings that help to give it a random, disorganized feel... the way a real card section would do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 22, 2010 at 2:37:44 pm

Unless you're in North Korea: if you have never seen youtube videos of North Korean card animation, you are in for quite a shock. Complex. Precise. To a scary level.

To generate the crowd, you could do this either in a compositor like AE or in a 3-D CGI program like Lightwave, etc. You can shoot it yourself with a handful of friends by having them stand and sit in various takes, changing their clothes and positions on each take, then cloning them until you populate a large enough section of the fake stadium to make the shot work.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 23, 2010 at 5:17:48 pm

[Mark Suszko] "...if you have never seen youtube videos of North Korean card animation, you are in for quite a shock. Complex. Precise. To a scary level. "

Never seen 'em. I'm thinking more in terms of card sections at the Cal-Stanford Big Game.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 23, 2010 at 6:26:52 pm

Browse some clips from here..

They are the masters at this stuff.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 23, 2010 at 6:34:05 pm

Amazing what people will do just to get a proper amount to eat.....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]