ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Headline

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Grote, Jr.
Headline
on Feb 19, 2010 at 1:35:58 am

Good day everyone,

I do a lot of political commercials and at least half of them I have to incorporate headlines into. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to bring them in? I'm looking to give some of the newer spots a fresh look while still using some headline.

Thanks to all that help.

Cheers,

John

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: Headline
on Feb 19, 2010 at 2:54:49 am

Photoshop into After Effects is always quick, easy and effective.

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
on Feb 19, 2010 at 11:26:12 am

Thanks Grinner,

Let me be a little more specific, I'm working in Photoshop & AE 3. My question is more of a stylistic thoughts. I've done the spin, the fly from behind the camera, the blur in, etc. Just trying to cull some new ideas or thoughts from the wonderful creatives out there.

Cheers,

John

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 19, 2010 at 2:08:07 pm

I'm going to assume you mean you have AE CS3 (which is technically AE 8). If you do, there are dozens of text animation presets that ship with it. Those will probably give you some ideas or you may just use them as is.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
on Feb 19, 2010 at 2:55:41 pm

Ok, I'm talking a physical headline from a newspaper, that I have cut out in photoshop that has a paper tear as if it has been ripped from the headlines. I am not creating the text myself, so the preset type effects are out od the question. All I am asking does anyone have a new or interesting way that they may be bring them up or on?

Cheers,

John

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 19, 2010 at 3:27:59 pm

Text to sand (tons of tutorials out there on it, including TWO here at the COW) but reverse it.
Shatter, reverse it.
CC Ball Action to make it form out off a cloud of balls
Trapcode's Form - similar to CC Ball action, but much prettier possibilities.
CC Page Turn
Star wipe
Have the headline be dragged on by a beligerent paper clip who then frowns and flips off the camera before offering to help ruin your formatting: "It looks like you're trying to watch this show, would you like some help with that?" (For anyone who's never used Microsoft Office pre 2007 version, I apologize if you don't get this reference.)

There are quite literally an infinte number of things you could do. How you do it should really depend on the feel of the overall piece.

You could have it splatter on using a track matte of spattering paint or ink.
You could have it come on with a luma matte using smoke footage.
You could have it bounce into place.
You could have it slam into place and the whole video quake for a few frames.
You could have an explosion take place as it arrives.
Fireworks could accompany it.
You could have the paper created and the headline printed by 3d machines like the FOX NFL robot...

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
on Feb 19, 2010 at 3:36:46 pm

Thanks Michael,

The smoke and a couple others that you have mentioned could be very interesting and useful.

Cheers,

John

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 19, 2010 at 4:16:43 pm

It's my personal opinion that if it's meant to look like a page that's been actually torn out of a newspaper, then it should maintain the illusion of being a piece of paper. It can be animated to move around but it shouldn't have a smokey transition for its intro.
If something is supposed to be tactile, I like to treat it as if it's a real object. Unless I'm a magician, I can't exactly cause paper to appear in thin air. :)

You could reveal it with some sort of graphic moving horizontally across the screen and wipe it on (or move it on) behind it.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
on Feb 19, 2010 at 4:27:15 pm

Understand that what we all do is an illusion or in my case, mind bending. I am an editor by trade and sometimes it how things are perceived and not what the headline may say. So a smoke transition could be the smoking gun and put more meaning into a lifeless headline. Hence why we use vignettes and lights to draw the viewers eye to see what we want them to see.

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Feb 19, 2010 at 6:05:06 pm

Make the letters (news) print or scroll across in complete neat sensibility. Don`t use script. Make a scroll or ribbon background wave a little bit, even if you have to import some rotoscoping. In spite of the rotoscoping things will be produced quickly and easily. That`s just how I would do it. It wouldn`t interfere with the pictures too much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]