ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Broadcast Safe/Legal Colors Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie BaughmanBroadcast Safe/Legal Colors Question
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 10:22:19 pm

Hi,

I work in the video production dept. at Google and I'm working with an internal client to create Keynote and Powerpoints that use Broadcast Safe/Legal colors. Their graphics are created, for the most part in Photoshop, and I'm looking for some guidance that I could pass along to them to be able to create the graphics (or just set up Photoshop) to ensure they're in the legal color area.

Hope this is clear.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Broadcast Safe/Legal Colors Question
by on Feb 5, 2010 at 12:00:17 am

I'm not at my computer right now, (iPhone, woo!) or I'd check, but I seem to recall Photoshop having an effect that did that.
One quick way to do that would be to put a levels adjustment layer over top of everything and set the input blacks to 16 and the input white to 135.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Broadcast Safe/Legal Colors Question
by on Feb 5, 2010 at 4:35:17 pm

[Jamie Baughman] "Their graphics are created, for the most part in Photoshop, and I'm looking for some guidance that I could pass along to them to be able to create the graphics (or just set up Photoshop) to ensure they're in the legal color area. "

Scopo Gigio to the rescue!

I love that plugin: it's saved my little pink fanny any number of times when working in After Effects, and there's a Photoshop version, too. Scopo Gigio is a software-based waveform monitor and vectorscope... just the thing you need when dealing with TV-land. Once you set it up properly, it tells you no lies... and you can then tweak the offending colors and video levels until they're right.

Oh, there are broadcast safe filters, broadcast colors filters, yadda-yadda-yadda... but they take the sledgehammer approach -- suck the video levels down until they're broadcast safe, and such the color out until it's safe. I don't know about you, but I would MUCH rather use a scalpel than a sledgehammer for such things. It makes for a more pleasing result.

Hey, if you work for Google, you can afford Scopo Gigio. It's just a google away, so to speak.

And don't forget to hammer the fact home to your computer-monitor-only art guys that working with broadcast-safe colors and video levels often results in washed-out-looking images. They'll crab and moan about it. Well, TV monitors don't work like computer monitors, and once those washed-out-looking images appear on a TV monitor, they'll look just fine.

It's magic!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jamie BaughmanRe: Broadcast Safe/Legal Colors Question
by on Feb 5, 2010 at 4:44:09 pm

Thanks very much to all. These are great suggestions. I think I'll look into the Scopo Gigio and keep the PSD filter in my back pocket. Really appreciate the quick response.

Jamie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]