ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

in the hole

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tiago velosoin the hole
by on Nov 29, 2009 at 10:54:49 pm

Hello friends!
I want to do an adaptation of a film to Portuguese ...
This is the original:

I intend to make a similar one using the green screen - or I have to find a real hole! :)
Could you give me some tips for shooting/filming?
Scenes from the bottom can be filmed anywhere ... but how can I make the scenes where a character appears at the top of the hole and the other fallen there? Or the scenes where you see someone up there? Or the scenes where the camera rises up?
Any idea? Tutorial?
Thanks
Tiago

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: in the hole
by on Nov 30, 2009 at 3:05:22 pm

For looking up from the bottom of the hole to the men at the top, shoot down into a mirror on the ground, bouncing a picture of the actors bending down to look into the mirror. Use a round soft-edged matte mask to create the "hole".
If you shoot in HD and then post in SD, the extra size of the HD frame lets you add fake camera moves in the edit, including fake zooms or dolly/jib moves.

Return to posts index

tiago velosoRe: in the hole
by on Nov 30, 2009 at 5:39:10 pm

thank you for your answer...
could you please explain me what is that of shoot in HD an then post in SD?
I am using After Effects... I think that there I can simulate that movements...
I will see if I can use the mirror.
thank you
Tiago

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2009 at 6:22:06 pm

You don't actually *need* Aftereffects to do this job, it can pretty much be accomplished in regular Final Cut, with maybe a short trip out to photoshop and back. Use Photoshop to paint a convincing hole with textured walls, the actual hole at the top, you leave emoty with a blank alpha channel in it... save this as a tif or targa format file. When brought into your timeline, lay it over teh footage of the guy looking into the mirror, move the x-y and scale positions of both tracks around until you get a pleasing composition. The shot looking back down the "hole" tot he bottom is pretty much the same, but in reverse. To show climing up the sides of the shaft, move aphotoshop back layer of "wall" slowly downwards while the green screen climber tries to climb "up".

What kind of camera are you using for this project, standard-definition DV, or high-definition? Because if you shoot in high definition, even if the edit and final output are not high-def, the added size of the high-def frame measn you can move it around in the standar-defintion video space and zoom in during post ptoduction as you like, and not lose too much quality. You can't zoom more than maybe ten eprcent into a standard-def video track befoer it begins to look bad.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 1, 2009 at 12:31:24 am

thank you again...
I've got Final Cut on my MAC. But I do not use it very often, so I do not know how to work well there, without tutorials...
can you help me?
Tiago

Return to posts index

by on Dec 1, 2009 at 3:15:30 pm

Sorry, but there's only so much hand-holding I can do for you remotely. There are simple tutorials in the online manual that came with the program, they will guide you more efficiently than I could at this point. Also, the COW has an awesome number of great tutprial videos, I highly reccomend you browse thru them. Another great site for beginners is the DJTV section at Digital juice; looks for all the "cutting class" tutorials. DJTV is here:

http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/default.asp

Go back a number of pages until you find the "Cutting Class" tutorials. He does a great job.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 1, 2009 at 7:20:26 pm

Mark, ok, I will see.
thank you very much.
I will write you soon saying if the movie was a success or not! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]