VSync problems! Help needed.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Shaw
VSync problems! Help needed.
on Nov 11, 2009 at 9:30:04 am

Hi Everyone.

I need some urgent help!
I have created a 'waterfall' video for a restaurant that's opening tomorrow night. I've made it in AE and output it at 24 fps @ H264 in .mov format.
The video is going from a shuttle PC, through a 2 way splitter a 20m cable (with signal amplifier) and being projected onto a rear projection screen.
Here is a link to a scaled version of the video to see what I mean:

My problem is the video is suffering AWFUL vsync errors. I understand what vsync/phase is but still not sure what the cause of it is.
Any idea what the likely cause is? I realise that there is a lot of vertical motion in the video which is probably making it look so bad. Is there anything that can be done to media to prevent this? Or would it definitely be hardware that's causing the failure?
I can find more info about the setup if required.
Please I will listen to any help or comments at the moment as we are starting to pull our hair our with only 1 day until the opening!
If you are unsure of a solution but can suggest anywhere I can look for answers it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give
Matt
matt.shaw@tpagency.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: VSync problems! Help needed.
on Nov 11, 2009 at 5:05:31 pm

[Matthew Shaw] "I've made it in AE and output it at 24 fps @ H264 in .mov format.
The video is going from a shuttle PC, through a 2 way splitter a 20m cable (with signal amplifier) and being projected onto a rear projection screen. "

Vsync? You mean VERTICAL sync? Doesn't have a thing to do with it. If what you wrote is accurate, I think you're bumping into frame rate problems, playback problems, and an AE rookie's too-high expectations for rendering.

Did you REALLY work in a 24 fps comp? Were you aware that the NTSC frame rate for film is 23.976 and NOT 24, and if you try playing something at 24, you get stuttering frames?

Is this video projector of yours even capable of projecting at 23.976 (aka 23.98)? Is it actually expecting to see something at 29.97, which means you'd have to add 3:2 pulldown when rendering your 23.976 AE comp?

Can the hard drive on this lil' ol' PC even keep up with the bit rate of the file you rendered? You should check. Then, why aren't you using a DVD Player? Is this stuff HD or something? I see a 4x3 animation, which is definitely NOT HD. And for ease of playback, you can't beat a DVD. Heck, you can even author a DVD to automatically play 60 or 90 minutes of animation, using the highest quality encoding settings for the video, then have the DVD loop back to the beginning... and it keeps it up until the cows come home. You get a 10-frame hiccup at the loop point, and that's about it.

If you're resolved to use H.264, I'm going to assume you had no clue that AE is certainly NOT the best application to use for creating H.264 compression. AE is incapable of doing multipass compression, which you absolutely need when compressing to H.264, because the image looks so much better. So render a high-quality file out of AE, and use something else to convert it to H.264. Apple's Compressor, Sorenson Squeeze and Adobe Media encoder come immediately to mind.

You obviously are of the opinion that a film frame rate is just tooooooo cool to ignore, and it's coming back to bite you because you had no clue how to deal with it. You'll get virtually the same look in a 29.97 AE comp, but rendering frames and not fields.

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you! Better get crackin'......

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]