ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating a paintdrip

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Faraz MozafarianCreating a paintdrip
by on Nov 4, 2009 at 7:14:22 pm

I am working on a project for my company and they have provided me with a Photoshop file of black paint that has dripped down. They want me to animate the dripping action. Is there any way I can do this in Apple Motion?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Creating a paintdrip
by on Nov 4, 2009 at 10:21:02 pm

Convincingly, I think not. How I would attack it is to take the still into photoshop and use it to build a version where the drips are elongated, save those out as a layer. Now you can keyframe them such that the initial spray stands still for a beat, then the layer of the extended drips, suitably masked, slides down but looks like part of the original. This looks best I think for thin individual drop trails here and there, not so much an all-around ooze.

That's still not great, but better, I think, than just applying a warp to the original.

But even better is the real thing: you can buy paint "throws" from Digital Juice in their compositor's toolkit.

Or for free...

Back when I had to do blood dripping down a screen for a horror promo, I shot cholocate syrup manually squeezed onto a piece of foam core. Chocolate syrup smells and cleans up way better and easier than ink or paint, and is cheap and a good thickness. You adjust the flow speed by how much you tilt the foam core board off vertical. More vertical = faster flow. The hi-contrast matte thus generated can be colored any way you like, and unless the still graphic they supplied is very specifically required for some logo reason or such, I would prefer the chocolate live shot myself.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Creating a paintdrip
by on Nov 5, 2009 at 3:34:08 pm

If you have Motion 4, take a look at the Splash template. It has what I think you want.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out the Graphics Demo Reel I did.

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Faraz MozafarianRe: Creating a paintdrip
by on Nov 5, 2009 at 5:24:17 pm

I'm actually looking to make the Photoshop file I have drip. I can't just use a template. I need to animate the actual file that I have.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 5, 2009 at 5:52:27 pm

Take a look at the template. If you like how they made theirs drip you can open up the template and see how it was created. And then re-create the concepts you like with your image. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out the Graphics Demo Reel I did.

Return to posts index

Michael WestRe: Creating a paintdrip
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:37:16 pm

"open up the template and see how it was created"...

Sounds Morlok to me.

Wise One, how would I do this?

(I know, it's probably as simple as "Simple Jack", but I'm here at work trying to keep my brain active)

Thanks,
Michael

Return to posts index

Michael WestRe: Creating a paintdrip
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 3:59:40 pm

Now my problem is I cannot find the Splash Template in Motion 4.
I have what appear to be all the others.
I started with FCS 3, so I don't have any content from previous versions.
Am I out of luck, or just not looking in the right place?
Thanks.
Michael

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:16:54 pm

It is a new template to Motion 4. Open up Motion and go up to File, Open Template. Scroll down the Themes and find Splash. It is way cool. Best of luck and hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Creating a paintdrip
by on Nov 6, 2009 at 6:01:21 pm

You know what the EASIEST way is to animate a paint drip?
  • Get a camera
  • Get a black card
  • Get some paint
  • Point the camera at the black card
  • Drip the paint on the card
  • Repeat as necessary

It will take you just as long to do it that way as it will to try and fake it. And it will be REAL.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]