ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

random flashing like in 7even intro

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Charles Jones
random flashing like in 7even intro
on Jul 29, 2009 at 4:35:42 pm

in the intro to the movie Seven (with Brad Pitt) there is this random flashing that occurs - also - the text is moving very jittery - any idea on how this is done?

CJ,
MOTU UltraLite, FCP2 Studio, MOTU DP5, EX1 and EX3
G5, MBP

Return to posts index

Ryan Hill
Re: random flashing like in 7even intro
on Jul 30, 2009 at 5:35:57 pm

Well, in the actual Se7en movie, they used an optical printer and beat it up while it was running.

In After Effects, I could try to emulate the look by playing with blur, levels, position, distortion effects, and applying some fast wiggle and random expressions to all of them.

I've also had a fun time printing titles out on card stock, taping it to a rocking chair and taking a bunch of photos of it.

Return to posts index

Joel Granholm
on Jul 30, 2009 at 6:18:07 pm

You might also check out Video Copilot's Twitch plug-in for After Effects. It makes it easier to randomize (or "twitch") a variety of parameters all at once.

http://www.videocopilot.net/products/twitch/

-Joel

Return to posts index

Eric Sanderson
on Jul 30, 2009 at 7:10:15 pm

One way i like to do this is throw an adjustment layer on your comp, play with the levels, maybe a transform position and scale, colors, get crazy with it...but then throw this script onto its opacity

probability = 9;
r = random(-probability+2,1);
c = clamp(r,0,1);

Math.round(c)*100

adjust the probability # to control how often it glitches. Also if you want to glitch just the text you can use this, this will glitch in the y axis but you can throw the "s" in place of the "value" if you want to move the x as well, same if you want to add a z axis.

probability = 3;
r = Math.round(random(-probability+2,1));
v = clamp(r,0,1);
s = wiggle(10, 400*v);
x = value[0];
y = s[1];

[x,y]

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Jul 30, 2009 at 11:21:32 pm

You can keyframe it, ad shake pluigins or a combo of the two with added glows and blurs.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]