COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Espen Jakobsen
Is this possible to do in AE?
on Sep 26, 2008 at 3:34:55 pm

Just saw this on motionographer.com:
http://www.quayola.com/works/videos/190.2A.mov

Any thoughts on how this was done?

I've seen similar stuff other places too and think it's a cool effect. What I wonder about is if it's pooible to somehow attach an ending point of the mask of a stroked (effect/generate/stroke) solid to a track point? Because this effect must have been acheived from motion tracking, right?

Return to posts index

Nel Santiago
Re: Is this possible to do in AE?
on Sep 26, 2008 at 3:57:05 pm

That was pretty neat, have been seeing that kind of style pop up on a few reels lately. The first thing that came to mind was Dan Ebbert's Expressions over at http://www.motionscript.com

You might be able to use tracking data and Dan's Elastic Connection script to accomplish that task. Just a thought.
-N

Site:ForbiddenSky

Blog:TVNewsBlog

LinkedIn:Profile

Return to posts index

Nel Santiago
on Sep 26, 2008 at 4:36:18 pm

got me thinking a little, while Dan's script is awesome for it's features, it may not be needed to replicate that look. Check this out:
sample clip
AE file
Three layers in total, 2 solids and one with the beam effect. The anchor points of the beam effect are linked with an expression to the position of each block, the start to a white block, the end to a red. So any effect that has a starting point can be used. I didn't have time to motion track video for the example, so I used motion sketch to give yah an idea. Each block as it's own motion, you would use the tracking data off of your video to dictate where the blocks are and build on from there. Not sure this is the most efficient way of doing it, but it should work.

-N

Return to posts index

Nel Santiago
on Sep 26, 2008 at 5:14:01 pm

Using the file above I was able to do (this sample) with 3 tracking points. I love the effect, might need to add this to the goodies section on my site. If I get some time I'll see about replicating the part with the polygon sections filling in with color. Great question dude.
-N

Return to posts index

Espen Jakobsen
on Sep 26, 2008 at 5:27:52 pm

Ah! Good thinking, thanks! Going to try it later. Been browsing Dan Ebberts' scripts for some time now, strange I hadn't noticed that one. Yeah, first saw the effect in a Dstrukt showreel.

Thanks
Espen Jakobsen, Norway

Return to posts index

Nel Santiago
on Sep 26, 2008 at 5:41:47 pm

Sure thing! also, the polygon fill (as I was calling it) can be done with a solid, apply the corner pin effect to it, and use an expression to anchor the points like this

it's a bit tedious, so if anyone else has another idea, would love to hear em. Very interesting look.

-N

Return to posts index

Espen Jakobsen
on Sep 27, 2008 at 2:22:40 pm

Alright! Your method seems to work pretty good! It can be a bit tedious parenting the corner pins to the tracking data, but still, it works! Thanks alot! I wasn't aware of either the beam or corner pin effect, so I wouldn't have figured this out on my own.

Here's my take on it:
http://espenja.com/feedback/connect.mov

Too bad my footage dosen't have too many moving objects though. The one in the example looks like a living thing. I also tried to do the nice drop shadow effect from the example.

Return to posts index

Nel Santiago
on Sep 27, 2008 at 2:35:11 pm

Nice job dude. Like the color. There is a lot to be said about how they shot their original footage, I think that combined with the music and the technique makes it memorable.

Not sure it's the easiest way to do it, but its a way, right? It has lots of potential though, adding color like you did, animating the lines on would push it even further. The shadows look nice. If you keep developing it, try and post your results, would love to check it out.
-N

Return to posts index

Espen Jakobsen
on Sep 27, 2008 at 2:50:20 pm

Here's a quick one without the footage just so I could get that same motion on the connecting dots:

http://espenja.com/feedback/connect_2.mov

This has alot of potential. I just wiggled the position of the null objects controlling the corner pin positions and removed the tracking data.

Oh, and the color is just a modified template from adobe kuler :)

Return to posts index

Espen Jakobsen
on Oct 7, 2008 at 12:57:06 pm

I tried to implement the effect in a project I'm currently working on:

http://espenja.com/feedback/breaker_klinikker.mov

I left the fill out this time though.

Return to posts index

Michael Ricks
on Oct 8, 2008 at 1:54:14 am

I just wanted to add that I really like some of the stuff y'all have come up with. I'm definitely going to have to look into this technique and see if I can use it in any future projects.

Return to posts index

Nel Santiago
on Oct 8, 2008 at 5:39:07 pm

ahh, I like that! very interesting way to use the technique with the words. I would be interested to know if this would work with some type of spline based lines, that would open up some more options.

Very cool, thanks for following up.
-N

Return to posts index

Eric Sanderson
on Sep 26, 2008 at 4:49:07 pm

Thats very much doable in AE, granted i would probably use a 3rd party tracker like boujou for the tracking since AE's not only a 2d tracker but just not as powerful. But to answer the question most definitely. And a few ways of going about it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]