ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Any thoughts on the way this was done.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
cow
Aaron Keeny
Any thoughts on the way this was done.
on Apr 25, 2008 at 1:21:20 pm

This is a ad for Liberty mutual, wonder if anyone has any thought on the best method of recreating something like this. I am referring to the end graphic with the blocks flying in and stuff. I was wondering if its a camera move zoom through/past the blocks and words or a scale and position change or a combo of both. Ive been trying it as a camera movement but it seems to be difficult to position everything just thought there may be an easy way to do this.

Thanks. I Love the cow

Aaron Keeny

Return to posts index

cow
Darby Edelen
Re: Any thoughts on the way this was done.
on Apr 25, 2008 at 8:08:01 pm

My guess is that there is a camera move involved, but probably not exclusively. If you can animate the blocks coming together into the logo in 3D space in a pre-comp, then nest that and collapse transformations you should be able to make your camera move separately from the logo animation... Nice and clean =)

Also, you could try using the Transition > Card Wipe or Simulation > Card Dance effects to create the logo animation.

Darby Edelen
Lead Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

cow
John Felt
on Apr 25, 2008 at 11:07:37 pm

Haha, I actually saw that ad independently and was thinking about how you could do that effect with card wipe.
Card wipe is ostensibly a transition tool, but really it can be used for breaking layers into multiple boxes and then have them move in space.

Return to posts index

cow
Joey Foreman
on Apr 26, 2008 at 2:12:30 am

The blocks aren't really even coming together - they're just moving forward in z to about the same point and vanishing. No need to move the camera. No need to create a camera. Just toggle the block layers to 3d and animate their z position, starting with a negative value and going to positive. You'll need to offset their initial x position as well.

Return to posts index

cow
Darby Edelen
on Apr 26, 2008 at 2:30:55 am

[Joey Foreman] "The blocks aren't really even coming together - they're just moving forward in z to about the same point and vanishing."

Ah, I wish it were true, but alas the logo is forming ('coming together') from some of those blocks. It's clear to me that the blocks are animated in more than one dimension. If you look at the face of the logo it takes a much different path to find its resting point than the lower portion of the logo, even though they share a common line in the final logo.

Most of the blocks do keep moving beyond and eventually disappear.

I still think that the best process would be to animate the blocks in one composition, pre-comp it, collapse transformations and then animate a camera as needed.

Darby Edelen
Lead Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

cow
Joey Foreman
on Apr 26, 2008 at 5:08:24 am

Watched it again and stand corrected.
How about dividing the graphic into a series of layers via masks. Make em 3d. Keyframe their inital position. Move these keyframes down the timeline. Proceed as from above, moving the layers individually back in Z and to the side. Maybe slide them up or over a bit in the middle to make a slight arc. Stagger the layers in time. Nice eases at the end and fade out.
Still don't need a camera.

Return to posts index

cow
Aaron Keeny
on Apr 29, 2008 at 2:03:39 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. I just finished the project and ended up using a combination of camera and moving the blocks in Z space and just nesting different layers/blocks and text into different comps.

Again thanks for the help. Love the cow!!!!

Aaron

Return to posts index

cow
Randy Cates
on May 12, 2008 at 4:28:44 pm

This effect is definitely the Card Wipe plugin. Go to http://www.ayatoweb.com/ae_tips_e.html (great resource too btw)and the first QT on example #31 is this effect with a camera angle which you can click on and watch http://www.ayatoweb.com/ae_tips_e/ae31_e.html

download his plug in settings JPG and then you can adjust block size, cam angle, speed etc. to fit your needs.

Randy Cates

Randy Cates
Broadcast Designer/Animator

Return to posts index

cow
Aaron Keeny
on May 12, 2008 at 4:33:03 pm

Thank you very much. Awesome website I bookmarked it so I am sure I will be visiting there a lot for some reference/advice.

Thanks

Aaron

Return to posts index

cow
Randy Cates
on May 12, 2008 at 4:38:34 pm

NP Aaron,

That is an awesome sight. Be aware this guy speaks broken english and his tutorials assume you can figure most of what he's doing by looking at settings and his general (and I mean general) direction.

Here's another guy (American) whose GREAT (if you haven't found him already. Former special effects guy. http://www.videocopilot.net/ go to his tuotrial link lots of cool tutorials with step by step directions.

Lastly, share these links (it's the right thing to help others - wink). Enjoy

Randy

Randy Cates
Broadcast Designer/Animator

Return to posts index

cow
Aaron Keeny
on May 12, 2008 at 5:36:31 pm

Andrew Kramer. He is great used his website and tutorials more times than I can count. Also purchased a couple of his dvds.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]