ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Chyron Operator

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Stevens
Chyron Operator
on Mar 21, 2006 at 10:47:12 pm

I'm looking to get into the broadcasting industry. I want to become a graphics operator running the Chyron. Any suggestions on the best way to get into the industry? My background is motion graphics, and animation.

Return to posts index

Tom Meegan
Re: Chyron Operator
on Mar 24, 2006 at 9:16:16 pm

Operators usaully work in a live environment. If you haven't done live TV, find a way in through connections and phone calls. Do you want to do news, sports or entertainment?

Designers on these systems also need to have a good understanding of how graphics are updated live, to make the disk work for operators.

Learn Duet, VizRT, and DEKO. Infinit!s are also still in many studios and trucks. Contact the manufacturers and be prepared to pay for training. Not sure what system is most common near you. There could be opportunity if you learn a system that is in your market, but not many people know. Solid knowledge of the box will help you over your inexperience in a live environment.

Tom

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 28, 2006 at 2:54:28 pm

Matt -
From the sounds of it, you're already overqualified to be a Chyron operator. I'm Art Director at a broadcast station (ABC affiliate in Manchester, NH), and we are constantly hiring and losing graphics people. What we look at when we interview for the position is a good grasp of design, type, and a knowledge of software. In other words, if you can pilot Photoshop, After Effects, Combustion, Illustrator, or a number of other complex software packages, and your portfolio looks pretty good, you're in.

There's no rocket science involved in piloting a Deko system or a Chyron, especially with the level of automation these days. The bulk of the CG Op's job (here, at least) is creating elements in Photoshop, and sometimes Illustrator, then building them into templates for the various newscasts. Yes...there are special projects such as opens, print projects, etc., that come up, but the bulk of the day-to-day work is more or less cookie cutter stuff. I don't want to squash your ambitions, but I DO want to give you a realistic view of the position. There IS plenty of creativity involved, but within a tight sphere which revolves around the "look" of the station, its' broadcast News design. And if you thrive on a fast-paced environment, with a fair amount of "hurry up and wait" in-between, it's just what you're looking for. Good luck.

By the way...just so you know...my background as Art Director involved my being the sole CG operator here, running a Dubner system (a great, old, dedicated broadcast box which had paint, text animation, simple 3D, and a sequencer), then various incarnations of TypeDeko and FXDeko.

Joe Bourke
Art Director / WMUR-TV

Return to posts index

Matt Stevens
on Mar 28, 2006 at 9:10:39 pm

Thanks all for the great comments and advice. Over this weekend I was able to crew with the Utah Jazz (nba team) I was able to sit with the Chyron operator and watch him do his stuff, and boy was it cool. I'm planning on going to NY to do a 5 day training on the Chyron Duet in July.

Joe I'd love to speak with you more on a more private level, could that be arranged?

-Matt

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 28, 2006 at 9:52:04 pm

No problem, Matt. My email is jbourke@hearst.com. My direct line is 603-641-9033. I'm fairly busy dayside, but I can always call you back if you get a message; just leave me your number. I always return my calls (except for sales calls, that is).

Joe Bourke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]