ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Why do we need motion blur at all?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Smith
Why do we need motion blur at all?
on Jun 9, 2016 at 5:23:32 pm

Is it because the frame rate is still relatively slow compared to the relevant time scale for the human eye? What if we had the option of a million fps? Would we still need motion blur?

More importantly, is it OK to not use it? I made a nice lower third thingie that has two adjacent parts. But when I use motion blur, the parts come apart and then I can see the layer underneath which was not supposed to happen since they were placed adjacent.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Why do we need motion blur at all?
on Jun 9, 2016 at 6:13:46 pm

Hey, if you like the look, go for it.

The guy who did all the special effects for "2001: A Space Odyssey". and whose name escapes me at the moment, did a lot of experimentation with film frame rates. He discovered that at 60fps, film started to look "real" the the observer. So a huge number of frames per second probably isn't necessary. Having said that, I use motion blur at 59.94.

I like the look.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Claude Rozsa
on Jun 9, 2016 at 11:04:08 pm

"2001's" special effects team was supervised by Kubrick himself, and included Con Pederson, Wally Veevers, and Douglas Trumbull,(see here this interesting paper :https://www.palantir.net/2001/meanings/dfx.html

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 9, 2016 at 11:53:12 pm

Trumbull was the guy I was thinking of. Look him up in conjunction with "Showscan".

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jun 9, 2016 at 6:42:41 pm

The shutter speed of a camera is usually low enough to capture motion blur, but creating motion graphics doesn't involve a shutter of course, so each frame is perfectly sharp. Standard frame rates are too low for human eyes to naturally blur the created motion, so AE provides a way to simulate that. I believe around 200 fps is the point where the eye doesn't need fake motion blur.

I say it is perfectly ok not to use motion blur. If it looks better with it off, go with it off! A lower third sliding onto a screen doesn't have to simulate the real world, since it's not in the real world. It all depends on the look you are going for.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]