ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

I've Lost My Keyframes And They Won't Show Up

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Olmsted
I've Lost My Keyframes And They Won't Show Up
on Jun 8, 2016 at 2:12:42 pm

Hello All,

I'm working on a new AE project... I've set up a series of comps with everything placed where I want it.

Then I get to animating... and I can't see any of my keyframes or motion paths in the composition viewer.

I tried the big three fixes I find repeatedly online...

- reset preferences
- go to "view options" and turn on motion paths and keyframes
- go to preferences and select "all keyframes" in the display menu

...and still no motion paths or keyframes.

I opened an older project that had motion keyframes and they showed up fine. I added new keyframes to a previously static layer and they showed up as well. So, I'm guessing I did something in that specific project to turn them off?

I know a decent amount of keyboard shortcut, but not all of them. I've frequently hit the wrong key trying to do a shortcut and done something and I can't figure out what I affected until I see it later. That may be the case here... operator error. I don't know.

Anyone have some advice? Help is greatly appreciated... I'm stuck and can't really progress.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: I've Lost My Keyframes And They Won't Show Up
on Jun 8, 2016 at 4:19:59 pm

If you select your layer and press the "u" key, it will show all of your keyframes on that layer. To toggle the keyframe path view in the composition window, toggle the Mask and Shape Path Visibility button.

Return to posts index

Kevin Olmsted
on Jun 8, 2016 at 4:28:45 pm

Thanks for that... I'd tried that one as well.

I actually just found the answer, strange that I've never come across this in 10+ years of AE use...

I had three looping movie clips and I was animating them across the screen. To create an illusion of randomness (they were all rotating the same direction in their loop) I reversed the rotation of one with a -100% time-stretch. That one was the first clip I was trying to animate.

I gave up for the moment on seeing keyframes on that one and moved on to the next of the looping movie layers and lo and behold, I see keyframes! I go on a hunch and precompose the -100% time-stretched clip. I animate the pre-comped clip and yup, there is a visible motion path and keyframes.

So, I suppose experienced AE users probably knew this, but for some reason you can't see motion paths or keyframes on time-stretched clips? I gotta say that's kind of lame.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jun 8, 2016 at 6:31:39 pm

Interesting. Glad you figured it out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]