ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exporting Settings for Multiple applications

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stellita Loukas
Exporting Settings for Multiple applications
on Mar 17, 2016 at 7:48:23 pm

Hello everyone!

I am very new to the world of animaiton/video creation/After Effects and I would be extremely grateful for your help.

I am currently creating a number of video tutorials and my workflow is a tad complicated due to CPU/computer-power restrictions. Since each video is around 15min long, I break it into smaller chunks (1 AE Project for each chunk basically) so that I can manage it more easily on the 2009 MBP (Dual Core - 8GB RAM) I am using.

1. I record the screen via Screenflow and then export the screen capture to a .mov file using the Apple Lossless 422(HQ) codec.
2. I then import this into my After Effects project (1920x1080) where I add the animations etc and then I export the whole thing into yet another .mov file, again using the Apple Lossless 422 (HQ) format. The frame rate is 30 fps @ both Screenflow and After Effects.
3. Then, since I don't have Adobe Premiere or any other video edting software, I use Screenflow to piece all the segments of the video (usually around 15min in total) together and export it yet again as a .mov file using the Apple 422(HQ) codec.
4. Finally, I use Media Encoder to encode the whole thing into a YouTube-acceptable mp4 file with the H264 codec.

As you can understand, the screen capture I do at step 1 goes through a WHOLE lot of encodings and the end result is rather low in quality. I had tried using the Animation encoding option up until step 3 but this resulted into 60GB+ Screenflow project files and it become a tad unmanageable.

So my question is, is there any other format or codec you would suggest so that I can achieve better results without working with ++++GB files? I have read that the best way to ensure quality when video files go on a roundtrip through many applications is to use Lossless encoding but there are so many options that I have no idea which to use!!

Many MANY thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Exporting Settings for Multiple applications
on Mar 17, 2016 at 8:27:50 pm

If you use any After Effects version newer than CS6 -- i.e. you're on creative cloud -- you can download & install Premiere Pro.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stellita Loukas
on Mar 17, 2016 at 9:23:35 pm

Hi Dave, thank you for getting back to me. (your posts on this forum by the way have taught me A LOT so a big thank you for that, too!).

Unfortunately I'm not on CC yet so Premiere Pro is not an option I'm afraid. :(

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 17, 2016 at 10:15:04 pm

Ugh. Sorry you're stuck with no NLE,

Well, you CAN use AE to assemble the clips, but I'm not sure it would be any easier than screenflow.

Another thing to watch for: positioning your screen captures properly. If they're off by a half-pixel, the quality can drop quickly.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Stellita Loukas
on Mar 17, 2016 at 11:31:54 pm

May I please ask, when you mean positioning my screen capture you mean the mov file into a composition canvas? or when recording it? Apologies for the silly questions but I am a total newbie :D

As for the mov files I import into AE, I usually pre-comp them and then scale/rotate/change the oils of that pre-comp. But the mov file IS centered inside that pre-comp. Is this what you mean?

Again, MANY thanks for everything, really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 18, 2016 at 12:04:40 am

You're working in 1920x1080, and the dimensions have even numbers.

You might capture in odd-numbered horizontal & vertical dimensions. this means the anchor point would be in the middle of a pixel -- a half-pizel. If you've wondered why the screen caps don't look as good in a comp as they do in a player, this could be why.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Stellita Loukas
on Mar 18, 2016 at 12:08:28 am

WOW! I didn't know that but I'll check it out to see if it's the case. THANK YOU!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]