ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE Path copy past offset problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan McAdamAE Path copy past offset problems
by on Mar 8, 2016 at 9:52:38 pm

I'm experimenting with whiteboard animation in After Effects. I keep running into offset issues when copying a path to a different layer's position or anchor point properties. Doesn't always happen but it happens enough to be frustrating.

Here is a 1:45 video walking you through the problem.

The path I'm using was not imported from illustrator, but created in After effects. Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to send me a link if you know of any good resources that could help.

Thanks so much

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: AE Path copy past offset problems
by on Mar 9, 2016 at 2:42:29 pm

When you create shape layers, they are the size of your comp. Check out the position of the layer when you start, it will be at half the width/height of the comp. And the path position of the shape layer isn't the comp position, but it's based on the coordinates of the layer. If you move the shape layer using the transform properties of the layer and not Transform:Shape(under the coordinates) you will get offsets like in your video.

You can create an expression to add the difference, like so for a 1920 x 1080 comp.

value + (thisComp.layer("Shape Layer 1").transform.position - [960,540])

Check out this example project, it illustrates the problem and solution.

For a lot more information on shape layers, check out the tutorials by Andrew Devis

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Ryan McAdamRe: AE Path copy past offset problems
by on Mar 16, 2016 at 10:05:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out that project and tutorial.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved