ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Stabilizing a panned shot - getting frustrated :(

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian ElliottStabilizing a panned shot - getting frustrated :(
by on Feb 25, 2016 at 8:30:40 pm

Hi there

Last year I did a panned day to night time lapse. It looks really nice apart from it's not quite stable.

I've done the quick and dirty method of trying to use Warp Stabilizer but it looks horrid and so I was wondering if I would fair better with the tracker.

So far I have nicely stabilized the lead-in of the footage before it pans but my problems begin when the camera starts panning across the scene.

I was just adding a single point from the Tracker under stabilization but it froze the footage in one place.

How do I stabilize the pan across using the tracker? Where am I going wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated as this one is making my head spin a lot :(

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Stabilizing a panned shot - getting frustrated :(
by on Feb 26, 2016 at 7:46:27 am

You can add a manual pan to the stabilized footage. Enlarge the footage slightly. Add a null and parent the footage to it. Move and keyframe the null so that the first and the last frames are in place (in frame), then scrub through to see if you need additional keyframes to keep it in frame. You'll probably need to adjust the motion in curves editor to make it smooth.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Stabilizing a panned shot - getting frustrated :(
by on Feb 26, 2016 at 8:46:32 pm

you can also choose to just stabilize the y-axis, leaving the horizontal movement of the pan intact (unless you were also trying to smooth horizontal movement).

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved