ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Removing baked in improper de-interlace scan lines - rendering out exactly what I see in preview monitor?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernest Savage
Removing baked in improper de-interlace scan lines - rendering out exactly what I see in preview monitor?
on Feb 18, 2016 at 7:33:22 am

Alright, here is one for you AE gurus.

THE PROBLEM I'M TRYING TO FIX:

Client delivered a 29.97 progressive QT Uncompressed 10 bit YUV file. However it looks like they imported some clips into their FCP7 project and cut them into their sequence without properly de-interlacing. So randomly through out the quicktime I come across shots like with this one, with horizontal field issue looking thing:

I THINK I SOLVED THE PROBLEM IN AFTER EFFECTS:

I import QT into AE, select the clip, interpreted footage. The only thing I change is:

Conform to frame rate 29.97

But if you look at the screen grab below, it looks like all I've done is change the frame rate from (29.970 fps) to 29.97. No difference, right? Don't know what the extra 0 means.

I then right click the QT and make a composition, and to my surprise the problem is gone when I play the composition in the preview window. I have no idea what I changed, but horizontals bad de-interlace lines go away on a progressive scan computer monitor as I play the composition. Even gone when I step frame. In addition, I can play out the composition, SDI, through my Black Magic 4k Extreme card, and record the SDI signal to my Black Magic HyperDeck SSD Drive. I then import the new test Quicktime I recorded, and the lines are gone.

SO WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?:

So why don't I just play out and record to SSD? AE will not playback the entire file in realtime, even with 40 gigs of ram assigned to AE. So I get stutter, and would have to start and stop all the time for a 30 minute show.

I also cannot render out a file that looks like the preview monitor. Either I get the same interlace issue, or a new interlace issue that looks like this:

Since I don't think there are fields in the original file, AE must be doing something with shutter angle and/or motion blur.

I have a suspicion that the file plays nicely in the preview monitor because of the motion blur settings available in advanced composition settings:

Are the motion blur settings above only operating in the preview monitor, and do not affect the file when rendered out? I tried various force motion blur effects, but they only had Shutter Angle and Samples Per Frame options, no options for Shutter Phase or Adaptive Sample Limit. I want to render out what I see in the preview monitor and what I see when I play out of my decklink extreme 4K card.

In other words, render out exactly what the composition is, how do I make this happen?

Is there anything like render same as comp, or a midtown feature?

Thanks for reading this far.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Removing baked in improper de-interlace scan lines - rendering out exactly what I see in preview monitor?
on Feb 18, 2016 at 1:45:48 pm

If it's HD, have you tried changing "Separate Fields" to upper first for the interlaced clips?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: moving baked in improper de-interlace scan lines - rendering out exactly what I see in preview monitor?
on Feb 18, 2016 at 3:29:18 pm

You haven't really gotten rid of the interlacing. You'll have to do it clip by clip. Since this stuff was garped up by the previous user, you first have to turn the clips back into interlaced clips in the proper field order. THEN you can deinterlace them properly.

What a pain! Any way to get the original clips? And to give the previous editor a good Dope Slap?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ernest Savage
Re: moving baked in improper de-interlace scan lines - rendering out exactly what I see in preview monitor?
on Feb 18, 2016 at 7:28:59 pm

Thanks for the reply guys,

Turns out the file is in fact interlaced, although Telestream couldn't tell me that. Only one app, compressor indicated that there was a top field order, though it still said it was progressive. So I was able to de-interlace top field first, in interpret footage and it worked. Just have to cut in the shots that I need now.

No way to get original footage.

What do you guys use to analyze files, especially corrupt headers? I used to use videospec but they are no longer updating for newer OS.

Still confused how AE was able to de-interlace the file, and add a nice little motion blur when playing out SDI? I captured to same format QT on a blackmagic SSD drive and imported the quicktime and it was fine. See screen grab below. All I did was interpret footage, change timecode from default to next radial button down which AE said was changing TC from 29.970 to 29.97 (so nothing) and drop the QT into a composition. I would have ran with this if AE could have maintained real time playback:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 18, 2016 at 9:15:46 pm

There could still be another "gotcha".

What kind of file are you expected to deliver -- progressive or interlaced? If it's progressive, you now have to de-interlace the problem interlaced clips. That's something the previous editor failed to do, so you know how bad it looks when it's progressive video.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]