ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How can I create 40 identical lower 3rds that will have a different text?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olivier Prudhomme
How can I create 40 identical lower 3rds that will have a different text?
on May 2, 2016 at 3:43:31 pm

I need to lower 3rd / ID 30 people in a video. The lower 3rds have to be the same ones animtaion / look wise. Of course I need to update each with the name of the person on camera.
It is a pretty complicated animation/project with 3 main comps and nested comps.

When I duplicate the folder contening the comps in the project it doesn't work as the changes made on Lower 3rd #1 show on Lower 3rd #2....

Again, it's 30 lower 3rds so I can't - or don't think I should have to - create a project for each person on camera. It would be too time consuming and it wouldn't make sense AE doesn't allow for this type of thing.

Any idea?

Thx

Los Angeles - TV Promo Editor - FCP - AVID

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: How can I create 40 identical lower 3rds that will have a different text?
on May 2, 2016 at 4:26:32 pm

Check this out...

http://aescripts.com/compsfromspreadsheet/

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on May 3, 2016 at 2:44:25 pm

I don't think it will work for my needs...
thx though

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on May 3, 2016 at 6:14:51 pm

Maybe this?

http://aescripts.com/true-comp-duplicator/

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on May 3, 2016 at 6:19:14 pm

Don't know if this applies in your case, but if the text doesn't have any hugely complex animations by itself, you could prerender the other layers and then make comps that have only the text layers in them and the pre-rendered lower third underneath.

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on May 3, 2016 at 6:34:11 pm

they''re preetty complicated animations... with precomps

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 3, 2016 at 6:27:34 pm

You can do this all in one project.

First, make the animated background, if you have one. Make the comp's dimensions the same as the edit timeline in your editing application. You'll render it out with an alpha channel, probably straight (i.e. not premultiplied).

Before you add it to the render queue, find the longest name you'll have to deal with AND the longest title you'll deal with. These two may be from 2 different people, but you'll know how big to make the text. Animate the text if you plan to. Once happy, precomp the text layer(s) and anything else associated with the text animation. Then delete the precomp from the animated background comp.

NOW: copy that precomp as many times as you need for all your names.
Open one of them up. From a text file, copy the first name and title (if any) into the text layer(s). Hit cmd/ctl-k for comp settings and paste the name into the comp name. Repeat this as many times as you have names.

Now you can add the animated background and all The name comps to the AE Render Queue. Before adding them, go Edit-Templates. You'll want to create the proper default Render Settings & Output Module to create alpha-channeled movies.

Once everything's right, save the project, save a copy, add the comps to the Render queue, hit the render button and go have a cup of coffee. When AE's done, import the animations into your editing application and have at it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on May 3, 2016 at 6:36:37 pm

wow thx Dave for taking the time to detail the process.
Not sure if I'll understand everything :-) but I'll read and read again! Worth a try

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on May 3, 2016 at 9:06:47 pm

Figured it out with co-worker so I thought I'd share the solution:

I need 20 of the same Lower 3rd animation with different text of course.
To make it easy to follow let's say I have ERIK and STEVE that need to be IDd.
The project requires 1 Main comp and 2 precomp:

Let's start with ERIK: ERIK_MAIN and ERIK_PRECOMP_A and ERIK_PRECOMP_B
1- Duplicate all comp from Project window
2- Label the new comp and precomp with the new name: ERIK_Main becomes STEVE_MAIN and the precomps become STEVE_PRECOMP_A and STEVE_PRECOMP_B
3-Dble click the new ID: STEVE_MAIN comp
You'll notice that in this new STEVE_MAIN comp, the precomps are still referencing to the ERIK_PRECOMP A and B.
We need to replace these with the STEVE_PRECOMP A and B
4-In the timeline highlight/select ERIK_PRECOMP_A
5-In the Project window highlight/select STEVE_PRECOMP_A then Cmd-Opt / at the same time.
You should see ERIK PRECOMP A being replaced by STEVE PRECOMP A.
Do the same with Precomp B.

You're done.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 4, 2016 at 4:12:29 pm

I guess it's a matter of taste.

If I'm going to use the same animated background 40 times, I'd prefer to render it once rather than 40 times. Normal editing applications have no trouble with alpha-channeled video.

This makes the task of animating & rendering name supers faster & easier, too. You're not wasting time re-rendering the background every time, and replacing names/occupations becomes a matter of copy-paste. Normal editing applications have no trouble with TWO layers of alpha-channeled video, either -- one for the background, one for the name. I can't speak for FCPX; that weird-a** thing may be fine for some, but not for me.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]