ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3D Elements layers in AE (Z-space messed up)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Gower3D Elements layers in AE (Z-space messed up)
by on Jan 11, 2016 at 5:17:56 pm

I'm having a problem with a project. I am rotating 3D layers (made in elements, shouldn't matter though) around a set point.

I've done this by creating a null in Elements and rotating the null, while all my objects are linked to it.

Doing so caused my objects to "ignore" Z-space, and simply follow layer-order (as in, the layer that was actually behind the other one would show on top of it, but small).

It turned out that the rotation of the null was created by "flipping" x and z (rotating around Y, 360 degrees), and thus creating the weird Z-space problem.

However, by "stopping" the flip, the objects will only rotate 90 degrees, after that they will "rotate back", rather than in a circular motion as I intended.

I am sorry if this was messy, I just didn't know how to explain it, so please ask if you don't understand and I'll try to explain so you can help me :)

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: 3D Elements layers in AE (Z-space messed up)
by on Jan 12, 2016 at 1:44:05 pm

If you have several separate 3D EFFECT layers, that are actually 2D layers with an effect, the will not interact in 3D, but follow the layer order.

In Element 3D there is a Unified Render option to stack several E3D effects on one layer with correct z-depth.

With other 3D Effects, you may need to use track mattes created from z-depth or world position pass to make front layers disappear "behind" other layers.

Return to posts index

Alexander GowerRe: 3D Elements layers in AE (Z-space messed up)
by on Jan 13, 2016 at 7:35:36 pm

Thank you so much! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved