ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Blending Paths

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean PlattBlending Paths
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 6:04:47 pm

I am curious to know if there is a better solution to blending paths than manipulating by hand for this example. I need to animate copy that follows a mask path to a new position with a new mask path. In this example, the layer "Scientists" falls down to the position of layer "Scientists2". I am figuring there is a quicker way to "blend these two paths overtime, but I am still a little wet behind the ears with After Effects and can't see a way other than manipulating the path of layer "Scientists" over time. Thanks so much for your help!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Blending Paths
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 8:50:59 pm

Unless, I'm missing something, use the type tool to create the word "Scientist". Now create a mask path that animates from a round like to a straight line. Twirl open the type tool, and set the path to that mask.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Sean PlattRe: Blending Paths
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 9:19:07 pm

Thanks Johnny. I got that part. What I am trying to figure out is if there is a shortcut to animating the mask path from a curve to a straight line much like you could use the blend effect in illustrator to automatically put in the number of steps in between (although not absent of issues of its own). I have animated the mask path by hand and just copied and placed into each word or sentence that would use the masked path, but wondering if there is a quicker way if I end up using various masked paths that have different curves and so forth so I don't have to re-animate the path every time I need to change it. Just seeing if AE can animate the between frames for the masked path automatically. Forgive me if I am not explaining this well.

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Blending Paths
by on Jan 8, 2016 at 9:14:23 am

Sounds like you are trying to do this using TWO different paths.

If you set two keyframes for just ONE path, AE will smoothly interpolate the path for all frames in between.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved