ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Glassy look?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry SmithGlassy look?
by on Dec 30, 2015 at 11:18:51 pm

What's the best way to make a solid look like colored glass?

Here's an example of what I would like:

http://www.pixeden.com/mobile-apps/nearby-iphone-app-ui-kit-psd

How can I get that nice look nice (brown) look?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Glassy look?
by on Dec 31, 2015 at 9:32:38 am

Another solid atop the footage with a gradient from deep blue to orange/brown, blend in Screen mode, lower opacity to 25-50%. That is, if you are not planning on 3D animating the glass.

Return to posts index

Jerry SmithRe: Glassy look?
by on Dec 31, 2015 at 11:09:06 am

Thanks. I should have been more specific. In different projects, I have different solid backgrounds. They are pretty much just like the blue background here on this creative cow web page. How can I take each one and give it a nice glassy look? I played around with a gradient. I played around with a light flare. But I'm not sure what is the BEST way to do it. And I'm not really very good with After Effects despite being 1000 hours in. :( So, if you could spoon feed me what effect to use and how to use it for an arbitrary color, that would be what I need.

The background is 2D and doesn't move. I have some moving infinitely thin rotating (3d) translucent white solids on top. I would like to give them a similarly glassy look.

I did a search, but all the glassy effects that come up are much more advanced 3d things. I'm just going for the super high tech look that you see on cell phones like in the link.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Glassy look?
by on Dec 31, 2015 at 3:35:59 pm

Without getting into massive reflection maps, something simple might be the CC Light Sweep, to fake a specular highlight.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 31, 2015 at 3:48:28 pm

Did they use reflection maps for that cellphone app?

Is there any kind of plugin I can buy?

I'm a bit surprised there isn't some effect called "Reflective Glass" that you can just slap onto solids. Or again, "Brushed Metal"; I see guys construct a brushed metal look using noise and several steps.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 31, 2015 at 4:05:40 pm

Along with the gradient, maybe add a bit of noise. Perhaps a directional blur with a small blur amount, 2 pixels.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

by on Dec 31, 2015 at 4:16:06 pm

Just to derail the conversation, in my view this approach looks more glassy than a plain colored gradient:

iPhone illustration

That would be a semitransparent layer with a masked white-to-transparent gradient overlaid in screen mode.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 31, 2015 at 4:24:32 pm

I think in his initial post and link he's not talking about the phone, but the background layer.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

Return to posts index

by on Dec 31, 2015 at 6:35:00 pm

Thanks John,

So you say I should use CC light sweep, a gradient, noise, and then a directional blur? So four effects?

I'm sorry, but I've really only used a few effects. I'm a time re-map master, but a novice with almost everything else.

What effect do you use for the gradient?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 31, 2015 at 6:38:44 pm

Thanks Kalle,

I was asking about the brown that is right around the round white head shots. You mentioned brown in your first response, so you seemed to know what I was asking about.

But, to be 100% clear, I'm asking what the app designer for that brown app would use in AE to make that app assuming he started with some kind of brown solid or at least a brown hexidecimal number. Assume he can't use Photoshop or another program.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 1, 2016 at 10:17:24 am

I only see a radial gradient between two colors there. (Effect>Generate>Gradient Ramp).

The background is a 4-color gradient (Effect>Generate>4-Color Gradient).

You can bring in the reference image and pick the colors from it.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 1, 2016 at 12:45:31 pm

Thanks Kalle,

Do you think there is any systematic way to choose four colors for a given color?

I have 25 or so different projects. So I would need 100 or so colors. It actually took me a very long time to find the 25 colors.

I'm amazed that you can see four colors in those images. (Remember I'm not really a designer.) How do you know there are four?

And why do you need the radial effect on top of the 4 color effect?

And how do you know it is radial and not linear?

You must have some good eyes!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 1, 2016 at 1:11:12 pm

And one more question. They describe it as a translucent app. And to a novice like me, it seems translucent. But to your trained eyes, what is translucent about it?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 2, 2016 at 9:17:06 am

Since it is a slideshow with 8 images, let's make sure we're talking about the same things:

The background I am referring to is the backdrop for the image, marked in green here. There is a four-color gradient in that background. It is four-color as two-color wouldn't blend that way.

The radial gradient is inside the phone, the background for the app itself. Marked in red here, with (location of the) two colors used marked with red dots. You can tell it is radial as it goes darker in every direction around that lighter point next to the info "circled-i". (Although, looking at the other slides again, the second color is probably that dark blue violet way at the top of the app, rather than the marked spot at the top left of this image.)

The transparent parts are the gray rectangles that have been overlaid on this background, marked with blue here.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 9, 2016 at 9:18:02 pm

Thanks Kalle for taking all the time to clarify that. I gave up and decided to hire a professional! Hehe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]