ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stabilisation Issues in underwater footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Giulia GrimaldiStabilisation Issues in underwater footage
by on Dec 9, 2015 at 5:03:31 pm

Hi,

I am new to AE and mocha.

I am trying to stabilise this clip (https://reels.creativecow.net/film/stabilizing) tracking in mocha and then exporting the info to AE CS5 for stabilisation.

I tracked the red sea squirt in the middle as an object to follow (using the default settings). I export the tracking data to the clipboard and then paste it to the clip in AE.

Here I tried different settings (selecting "anchor points" only, deselecting "position" and changing rotation to 'rotation * -1' 

and Scale to '

x = 10000/scale[0]; y = 10000/scale[1]; [ x, y ];- and playing around with the scale factors, and different combinations of these changes).

However, the video still appears jerky.

Is it because the light motion throws off the blue anchor points in the tracking in mocha - I can see the blue lines "flip"?

What would a good object to track be in a video like this?

What settings should I use in mocha or AE to make the clip smooth and stable?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Stabilisation Issues in underwater footage
by on Dec 9, 2015 at 8:34:37 pm

Sorry, but the link in your post produces an error message: "This Video has been Deactivated."

Return to posts index

Giulia GrimaldiRe: Stabilisation Issues in underwater footage
by on Dec 10, 2015 at 12:03:06 am

Apologies. I re-uploaded it at this link: https://reels.creativecow.net/film/24295

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Stabilisation Issues in underwater footage
by on Dec 10, 2015 at 12:16:09 am

I use motion tracker in AE, so this advice might not translate to Mocha. Look for a tracking point in the center third of the frame where the lighting is relatively constant. I think the moving flashlight, moving camera, and lens/water distortion are causing problems. Also, it is normal (with AE motion tracker) to use several sequential tracking points to get through the length of a clip.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 10, 2015 at 12:28:00 am

Thanks. I'll try. I had similar issues with a video without the flashlight. and it still jerks at one point. Perhaps sequential tracking will do the trick… Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 10, 2015 at 10:18:57 am

:'( unfortunately didn't work. even changing tracking points gives a similar effect.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Stabilisation Issues in underwater footage
by on Dec 10, 2015 at 6:23:26 pm

How long is this clip in actuality? You may be able to stabilize it by using position keyframes.

It also would be helpful to know the footage's frame rate, and the comp's frame rate. There may be some issues with them.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]