ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Anyone has read the After Effects books by Chris Meyer?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael GustavAnyone has read the After Effects books by Chris Meyer?
by on Dec 4, 2015 at 5:31:56 pm

They are a bit older (2012 and 2010) but can anyone can recommend these books Chris Meyer to learn After Effects properly?

My big question: Should I get both books or is "Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects" (2010) enough and After Effects Apprentice (2012) redundant?

I guess all the ebook versions don't offer the project files and I should choose the physical books? I don't want to spend $50 on an ebook, which offers less than the 20$ used physical version with the DVD.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Anyone has read the After Effects books by Chris Meyer?
by on Dec 5, 2015 at 3:27:28 am

Well, that depends. What version of. AE are you running?

Please don't say it's the very latest one. It's garbage.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Anyone has read the After Effects books by Chris Meyer?
by on Dec 5, 2015 at 2:11:17 pm

I bought the CS5 one. It's really comprehensive and most, if not all, stuff in it is applicable to the later versions.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Anyone has read the After Effects books by Chris Meyer?
by on Dec 5, 2015 at 4:27:14 pm

I've have Creating Motion Graphics, got it during the AE 5.5 days(not CS 5.5), over 14 years ago. And it still has a spot on my shelf, near my graphics station at work and still gets referenced(opened it couple months ago). Looking at the 2nd book, I would say, if you are brand new to AE/Motion Graphics/Video, I would suggest getting both books and DVD---and start with CMG.

I've worked with and trained people interns, people new to the industry who can use the software, but can't create anything really original because they don't know how things work, the why, what channels are...they are limited to just stacking effects on video and text. CMG not only teaches the basics of AE, but it explains the fundamentals of video(though with HD, 4K, codecs, streaming there so much more to learn). Also, the book builds from the most basic building blocks and moves in a logical progressive way. I tore through that first book in about 2 weeks and super slow computer(2000 something) and have loved AE ever since.

It looks like the 2nd book adds a lot of the bells and whistles that AE added later, rotobezier, shape layers, text animations...and these are all great things, but I would strongly suggest you start with CMG first. And for my 2 cents, buy used copies that include the DVD's. For me learning works better, when I follow along, manipulate the project files and actually physically do each step.

Along with the books, there are some awesome free online resources you can use too. The COW has some awesome tutorials, along with Video CoPilot. Todd Kopriva(Adobe Rep) has compiled quote the list of resources with Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC), definitely check some of them out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved