ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

RGB + Alpha exporting problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin A. LinggajayaRGB + Alpha exporting problem
by on Nov 25, 2015 at 12:12:43 pm

Firstly, I'm quite a beginner in After Effects.

So I'm going to export this project in which I want everything that I color black to be transparent. The composition BG setting is default (i.e. black) and I wanna export it in RGB + Alpha format. Now here's the problem. I have a few black rectangles in my compositions, but they won't be transparent when placed in Final Cut Pro. Meanwhile, the black BG is exported correctly (transparent). How do I fix this? Or do I need to use masks instead?

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: RGB + Alpha exporting problem
by on Nov 25, 2015 at 3:05:31 pm

Yes, use masks instead of black solids. Black solids render as black. You can see what is actually transparent by clicking on the "toggle transparency grid" under the program monitor.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: RGB + Alpha exporting problem
by on Nov 25, 2015 at 3:26:10 pm

You probably need to export in layers, particularly the black rectangles as there own export with an alpha channel. I don't work with FCP, but in Avid/Premiere you would import that with an alpha channel and then use that as a matte or stencil in in your final project. For instance, in Avid, if I wanted those rectangles to have different video in them, then my background, i would step into the rectangle matte layer and swap out the fill, or I could use the matte effect. There is probably a similar procedure in FCP

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: RGB + Alpha exporting problem
by on Nov 25, 2015 at 8:20:08 pm

In the future, use Toggle Transparency Grid button (the little checkerboard looking thing) underneath your composition to see what your which parts of your composition are transparent if exported with an alpha channel.

Return to posts index

Martin A. LinggajayaRe: RGB + Alpha exporting problem
by on Nov 26, 2015 at 1:54:00 pm

I finally decided to key the black rectangles in FCP. The result is not perfect but satisfactory. Thanks to everyone who answered. I think I better use masks in future projects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved