ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Two Shades of Grey

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry SmithTwo Shades of Grey
by on Nov 20, 2015 at 9:55:44 am

I remember a joke about Balitmore: There are only three degrees of separation there.

I got a family of videos that have different colors. Problem was that for, e.g., the red video, I also needed a couple of other shades of red. But for various reasons, I didn't want to choose other shades of red. So, the way it is right now, I use two transparent greys, one at 30% opacity and the other at 55% opacity?

Question: Am I asking for trouble? I get the feeling that every device is going to reproduce the video differently. In some cases, the greys will look the same, in others one or both will be too dark. In others too light.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Two Shades of Grey
by on Nov 20, 2015 at 2:00:49 pm

All you can do making video is create is as correctly as possible with video legal limits. Unless you yourself are supply the final monitors, it would be absolutely futile trying to produce correctly for other monitors, it's not within your control. Best you can do is have a well-calibrated monitor to show the client and say here it is, this it what it looks like when displayed correctly and please leave your check on the desk on the way out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jerry SmithRe: Two Shades of Grey
by on Nov 20, 2015 at 3:59:07 pm

I am my client and my client is very demanding!

Sooo, you have me worried. Sounds like shades of grey are indeed really risky.

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Two Shades of Grey
by on Nov 25, 2015 at 6:35:52 am

[Jerry Smith] "Sounds like shades of grey are indeed really risky."

You should be OK as long as the color is within legal limits.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved