ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3D wrapping line

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peo Fogelstrom3D wrapping line
by on Nov 14, 2015 at 9:53:07 am

I'm working on a trailer project and I'd like to mimic the arcade opening for the game that the event will host.

How would I go about to recreate the red stripe wrapping the character? As well as having the moving texture inside it (might be self explanatory once I know how to create the line).

I've looked into some tutorials and I get the idea of using a null object and pairing an object to it and move it in 3D space. But I've only seen it with a small object and not this ever continuing line.

Maybe can be done with Trapcode 3D stroke? I'm still browsing for tutorials for this plugin to see if I can recreate it. But so far not finding quite what I'm looking for.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: 3D wrapping line
by on Nov 16, 2015 at 2:23:57 pm

Probably easier to do with Trapcode Particular, if you want the 90 degree turns. This tutorial might help get you started.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Peo FogelstromRe: 3D wrapping line
by on Nov 16, 2015 at 6:18:55 pm

Thanks again Johnny for helping me out. That tutorial was really helpfull and educational. Wish I had found it in my searches.

And thank you too Jay. Your idea is painfully true and I can't believe I didn't think about it myself. I was too snowed in because a little earlier in the opening of the game the camera follows a long line backwards so I had my mind set on that effect from the start and it immedietly pushed me towards 3D and Trapcode 3D Stroke.

Again, thank you both for your solutions.

Return to posts index

jay muellerRe: 3D wrapping line
by on Nov 16, 2015 at 3:23:08 pm

Create the final look you're after and keep it 2D. Use a linear wipe to reveal the lines (adjust the length of each wipe to show various depths) , they'll have the look you're after.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 21, 2015 at 1:58:36 pm

Alright so I got around to this project again after clearing some stuff out.

I've gone with the 2D + linear wipe solution but I'm unsure how I will move the texture now.

I just made a rough draft in PS to see how it would look and it turned out okay.

So I want the red grunge texture to move and obviously in the same direction the lines are presented.

Some loop expression or evolution?

Return to posts index

Eric SantiagoRe: 3D wrapping line
by on Nov 21, 2015 at 6:14:50 pm

Do a precomp with the grunge lines travelling in desire direction.
Then do a series of distort functions to create each movement.
The example you sent is Anime and most cases its always fast and slight of hand trickery.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 21, 2015 at 10:52:08 pm

Think I got it :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved