ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Wispy/thin smoke

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peo Fogelstrom
Wispy/thin smoke
on Nov 9, 2015 at 8:09:21 pm

Hi all,

I've been trying to create some thin/wispy smoke almost all day but come up short all the time. I'm fairly new to using AE i might add. I have looked at a large array of smoke tutorials but I just can't seem to get my desired effect.

What I'm looking for is thin (not puffy smoke like sphere/cloudlet particles) that kinda flows at the lower half of the video, maybe at 1/4 of the screen at the bottom.

The closest I have got is using Particular with a sprite and some Directional Blur. It's kinda okay but it gets stiff even after playing around with Turbulent Field in Particular and as well as Turbulent Displace.
Sprite used http://nobacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Smoke-15.png

The reason I'm not using any stock footage is because this is just one of a pitch videos for a introduction to an upcoming online event and the duration is ~1min.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Wispy/thin smoke
on Nov 9, 2015 at 8:59:03 pm

Have you tried playing with fractal noise...perhaps something like this:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Peo Fogelstrom
Re: Wispy/thin smoke
on Nov 9, 2015 at 9:07:40 pm

Thanks for your quick reply Johnny.
I was actually thinking what I wanted was more fog so I searched around for a bit and landed on a tutorial with somewhat what I wanted and happen to be just your tip, Fractal Noise.

This was the result of just a rough draft. It's a lot better then anything I've came up with using Particular. With some tweaking I bet it could be quite nice.

Now I'm just presented with the problem of getting the smoke to appear without an emitter. But I guess I could change my initial idea from it coming from the side to just fade in the whole scene from black instead.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]