ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Wispy/thin smoke

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peo FogelstromWispy/thin smoke
by on Nov 9, 2015 at 8:09:21 pm

Hi all,

I've been trying to create some thin/wispy smoke almost all day but come up short all the time. I'm fairly new to using AE i might add. I have looked at a large array of smoke tutorials but I just can't seem to get my desired effect.

What I'm looking for is thin (not puffy smoke like sphere/cloudlet particles) that kinda flows at the lower half of the video, maybe at 1/4 of the screen at the bottom.

The closest I have got is using Particular with a sprite and some Directional Blur. It's kinda okay but it gets stiff even after playing around with Turbulent Field in Particular and as well as Turbulent Displace.
Sprite used

The reason I'm not using any stock footage is because this is just one of a pitch videos for a introduction to an upcoming online event and the duration is ~1min.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Wispy/thin smoke
by on Nov 9, 2015 at 8:59:03 pm

Have you tried playing with fractal noise...perhaps something like this:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Peo FogelstromRe: Wispy/thin smoke
by on Nov 9, 2015 at 9:07:40 pm

Thanks for your quick reply Johnny.
I was actually thinking what I wanted was more fog so I searched around for a bit and landed on a tutorial with somewhat what I wanted and happen to be just your tip, Fractal Noise.

This was the result of just a rough draft. It's a lot better then anything I've came up with using Particular. With some tweaking I bet it could be quite nice.

Now I'm just presented with the problem of getting the smoke to appear without an emitter. But I guess I could change my initial idea from it coming from the side to just fade in the whole scene from black instead.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved