ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Masks & Gradients / Feather

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex partington
Masks & Gradients / Feather
on Oct 16, 2015 at 12:08:53 pm

Hi & thanks in advance.

I've created two layers, One of which is a text object, the other is a shape layer converted into a mask, so the text vertically scrolls through from top to bottom with the alpha channel selected, so you can see the text.

What I'd like to achieve is:

The text fading in and out at the top and bottom but with the text remaining white in the centre. In previous attempts I've partially achieved this by adding a gradient, which makes either the top or bottom fade out, but makes the text goes grey. ( The text needs to remain white in the centre of the vertical scrolling text)

Any simple solutions?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Masks & Gradients / Feather
on Oct 16, 2015 at 3:47:49 pm

Simplest solution is to animate the opacity of the text layer from 0 to 100 to 0 as it moves from top to bottom.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 22, 2015 at 6:18:01 pm

[alex partington] "The text fading in and out at the top and bottom"

Pre Comp your text. Then add a mask to the precomp. Then increase the feathering on the mask.

I say this alot Haha! After Effects has a particular render order: Source, Mask, Effect, Transformations (SMET). So when you precompose a layer, it is not like a group in photoshop. It changes the render order of your layers, turning into a source. So you need to precompose your layer and add a mask to the (newly created) precomp. However, all the "normal" animations you have already made will remain inside.

I hope that makes sense!

Return to posts index

alex partington
on Oct 22, 2015 at 6:20:13 pm

Thanks.

In the end I exported the footage without masks, then imported into final cut pro, and applied the masks there. Less of a head ache this way :)

Hope this helps somebody else out.

Cheers

Al

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 24, 2015 at 4:38:35 am

I'm glad you found a workflow you like :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]