ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animated objet at stroke end

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry DanAnimated objet at stroke end
by on Oct 7, 2015 at 4:38:07 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Larry, I am new to After Effects, and I am already facing my first issues :( I tried for hours but couldn't find a solution so I was hoping I could get some help in here :D
Basically I am trying to create an animated travel map. My main comp (30secs) contains:
- a large AI map
- a solid containing the mask path for the itinerary animated with a stroke
- an image
and basically what i want to do is to stick a moving image to the end of the stroke line.
I looked for a solution and all I could find was to copy the mask path property into the position property of the image

However, when i do that, i can see the new path but it is scaled down not only in size on the map but also in time (all keyframes over 2 secs), and even the first keyframe position does not match.

I am using AE CC 2014.
I am really stuck and i really hope you can help :)

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Animated objet at stroke end
by on Oct 7, 2015 at 5:36:00 pm

Hi Larry.

The 2-second keyframe for motion path is the default setting that copying the path always gives an object. The beginning keyframe is at current time indicator and the end keyframe 2 seconds later. you can simply grab the beginning or end keyframe and drag it to where you want it, everything in between will stretch accordingly.

For attaching an animated object, you would be better off pasting the motion path to a null object and parenting the animated object to the null. That way it will follow the motion path but it will be simpler to adjust other properties, like scale, relative position, rotation, etc by changing those properties in the aimated object (or in the null).

Return to posts index

Larry DanRe: Animated objet at stroke end
by on Oct 7, 2015 at 6:11:30 pm

Hi Kalle and thank you for your help and your quick reply!

Ok I understand better for the 2-second keyframes.
When I paste the motion path to a null object, i can see the new path. However it is still scaled down compared to the one on the solid. Would the null object somehow need to be the same size as the solid? I am very confused.

Here are some screenshots of my issue:

The mask on the solid

The path created when i paste into a new null object's position

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Animated objet at stroke end
by on Oct 13, 2015 at 6:18:12 pm

Bit hard to say what is causing that without seeing anything other than the result.

Probably simplest to scale the path to match the original. Double-click the path with the selection (arrow) tool to select all points and press Ctrl-T (PC) for free transform and scale the path up using the bounding box handles while holding the shift key to constrain proportions.

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Animated objet at stroke end
by on Oct 22, 2015 at 5:17:44 am

Heres the thing: Render order. It goes like this: Source, Mask, Effects, Transformation (SMET). AE does an additional weird thing: nulls are 0,0,0, but all the other source types are half of the resolution, eg. 960,540,0.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved