ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Tracking and horizontal width for text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry SmithTracking and horizontal width for text
by on Sep 25, 2015 at 11:17:06 am

Sooo, I have a lot of text. Most of it has a tracking of 0 and a horizontal width of 100%. But some of it doesn't fit. So sometimes I might have to set the tracking to something like -50 and the horizontal width to 86%. This text is sitting close to the (0, 100%) text so there is no pretending that it's not being squeezed in. The alternative would be to reduce the font size, but that would make it harder to read. The format is 1920x1080 and I have been trying to make sure that there are at least three pixels between letters and other letters, and between letters and boundaries. I read somewhere around here that that was a good idea. But when I have to squish the text then that those three pixels go out the window and characters even start to touch.

Any thoughts about all of this? Any big dangers? Or is pretty much just an aesthetic sacrifice?

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Tracking and horizontal width for text
by on Sep 25, 2015 at 4:36:02 pm

Personally I would make the text the same or at least very close to the same settings everywhere. So, if -50, 85% works for the worst case, I would use that everywhere. Or at least I would not go much beyond -35, 87% (or thereabouts) for the rest of the text.

If there is a condensed version of same font, the better. Fonts are generally designed to look best at 0, 100% settings.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Tracking and horizontal width for text
by on Sep 25, 2015 at 5:33:19 pm

Figure out your longest line of text. Tweak it until it fits the way you want. Use that as the basis for all the other lines of text. They'll all fit.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved