ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to create a transition from shapes. (or anything else that works)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raoni oliveiraHow to create a transition from shapes. (or anything else that works)
by on Sep 20, 2015 at 2:53:25 am

Hello again :)

I'm editing a new video, and this time I'm trying to achieve an alternative "transition" on my video. I want my screen being splited from center to the corners and then reveal a second video below it. I'll post some images to make the best picturize it.

First, I'm trying to get two shapes coming each from one side of the video. The two shapes do not overwrite each other, but they get really close so when both reach the other edges they become one.

Second, I want to split them and reveal a second video below it.

At some point it should look something like this:

I watched this slider tutorial (, but I couldn't animate it. I achieved 2 different keyframes but there is no transition between them. I go to the first, get the slider to 0, go to the second and raise it to 100, whe I go back to the first keyframe, it is also at 100. :(

I'm editing the video on Premiere, so it should be something I could get from Ae to Pr. This "transition" should be implemented here:

My english is not the best, so I hope the pictures can help you get a better idea of what I'm trying to do. And yes, I'm completly lost.

Thank you all.

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: How to create a transition from shapes. (or anything else that works)
by on Sep 21, 2015 at 8:31:13 pm

What do you want to have on the shapes? Solid black?

Basically you need two solids that animate from the corners in, then flip so that the diagonal split goes the other way, then animate out.

(As to the keyframing issue, make sure only one keyframe is selected. This is easier to do by navigating from one keyframe to the other with the arrows next to the add keyframe button. If you click on the Position value instead, you'll likely select ALL position keyframes, not just one.)

You can render the animation from AE with an aplha channel (AVI with RGBA, for instance) and place it above the video layers in Premiere so that the center point where it is all black aligns to the cut.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved