ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

STARWARS The Force Awakens Teaser #2 - New Lucas Film Logo VFX

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard SacoorSTARWARS The Force Awakens Teaser #2 - New Lucas Film Logo VFX
by on Sep 17, 2015 at 5:39:22 am

Hey guys, i'm doing a starwars fan film and i'm trying to get the exact appearing effect and VFX of the lucas film logo as in the Star Wars: The Force Awakens Official Teaser #2 (check minute 0:09).

I'm changing the text of the logo in illustrator to a customized name instead of "Lucasfilm". Then i'm going to work in after effects.
I'll make it 3d (the new logo in the trailer has a subtle 3d look) and i'll add a metal texture.

My main doubt is how to add the little light flares that surround the edges of the text and move throughout the logo. If you look closely, these light flares even appear before the rest of the logo. It is such a cool effect but i'm really intrigued at how to accomplish it.

Do you guys have any ideia on how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: STARWARS The Force Awakens Teaser #2 - New Lucas Film Logo VFX
by on Sep 17, 2015 at 12:56:34 pm

If you aren't creating it in a 3D program, and doing it in AE, I would create it in multiple layers. The top layer would be the edges and bevels. I would use lights and move them across the edges/bevels, play with the specular and add glows.

Another method, if you can get the paths to match up from illustrator and the extruded logo would be to simply add a stroke to paths, feather it, and offset it around the logo in different places, add a little glow and that's about all you need.

Play around with those methods and if you get stuck ask some more direct questions.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved