ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Sleek Background Texture?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry SmithSleek Background Texture?
by on Aug 25, 2015 at 5:51:24 pm

Quick question for you guys. It's an AE question because I'm not going to go digging around Illustrator or anywhere else.

Question: I have some backgrounds that are just solids. And they look good. But I was playing around with some effects under Effects>Generate and I like one that sorta gives you a marble look. I forget what it is called at the moment. But doesn't matter. Problem with marble is that I need something minimal and sleek. I just want a little hint of texture. I'm a bit worried that the background colorS look a little too simple. Anybody have any suggestions. It will be very subtle as there are line drawings that sit directly on top of the background and so the texture can't distract from them. So, to sum up, what is the most minimal texture? If Steve Jobs and Jon Ive had to choose a texture, what would he choose? Some sort of brushed aluminum look that works for other colors? Can I do that in AE? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Sleek Background Texture?
by on Aug 25, 2015 at 6:10:30 pm

Yow, that's a tough one to answer because there are so many ways to break up a solid color.

I'd just start playing around with the effects applied to a solid. You'll get to learn what the effects do and how the controls work.

But if you're hell-bent on a recommendation RIGHT NOW, try CC Light Sweep.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Sleek Background Texture?
by on Aug 25, 2015 at 7:05:20 pm

I like to use old paper textured combined with a subtle gradient.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Sleek Background Texture?
by on Aug 25, 2015 at 9:30:37 pm

You can add fractal noise to a new solid, play with the parameters, and change the blend mode. You can get some nice, metallic looking textures this way.

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Sleek Background Texture?
by on Aug 26, 2015 at 6:00:12 am

The best choice should also consider bit rate of the final encode. For posting on the web a static repetitive pattern with solid colors or a random noise pattern are the best choices. A dynamic gradient needs much more bit rate, and a static marble pattern is somewhere in between.

Return to posts index

Jerry SmithRe: Sleek Background Texture?
by on Aug 28, 2015 at 11:24:02 am

Thanks.

@Dave: That's probably what I asked for, but it gets lost under the foreground stuff. I always want it RIGHT NOW. But my definition of "NOW" is roughly two weeks long.

@John: I haven't tried that one. I couldn't find it. Is that sleek? Old paper?

@Daniel: Yours is probably the winner. And so many options.

@Ivan: I will probably have to start a new thread or two to address your points. This is for video on an ipad. Audio needs to be very high quality. The video, however, despite taking forever to actually produce, is mostly text and as such doesn't seem to require much in terms of bit depth. There are no pictures of Everest or people. Only a handful of colors cum opacities. I haven't figured out the whole codec/encoding stuff. Haven't even begun to really think about it. I actually want an obscure codec as an anti piracy measure. I'll probably have to put another thread, like I say. Hell, I may want a big bit depth for anti-piracy and for the audio. I may need it for Daniel's fractal noise metallic background. Thoughts?

Thanks all.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2015 at 12:11:21 pm

Anti-piracy is unfortunately out of my league. You said this is playing on an iPad, so I am assuming it is in an app that is streaming from an online source? If so, an extremely high bit rate or obscure codec could cause all sorts of playback issues.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2015 at 1:33:21 pm

No, not streaming.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2015 at 1:51:39 pm

Then you may want to find a list of supported video formats for the iPad, unless you plan on having the viewers download a third-party video player that is capable of playing an obscure codec. Also, I would be wary of a very high bit rate for a video that will be playing from the iPad's hard drive. If it's too high for the iPad to process quickly enough, you'll get freezes and laggy video playback.

You may have already thought of these issues, or they may be some iPad app or software out there that helps with anti-piracy measures, so I'm just throwing them out there for you to consider. I don't use iTunes anymore, but maybe they have some sort of security measures for how users can view and share videos? A call to Apple Customer Service might answer that.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2015 at 2:06:08 pm

Well, the "plan" was/is to have my own video player playing an obscure codec and to stay away from the whole itunes universe. But obviously, I don't have a clue yet how I'm going to do it. I may end up streaming, but was planning not to.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2015 at 2:20:08 pm

I would recommend streaming for a few reasons:

- Downloading and storing large video files on a tablet or mobile device can be a big pain for users.
- A good video host will encode your video to multiple bit rates and play back based on the user's internet connection and device. No worries about playback.
- Some video hosts like Brightcove offer security measures, among many other helpful tools.

Hopefully that helps in some way. Best of luck whichever way you decide to go.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2015 at 2:28:35 pm

I don't own a smart phone. They don't have any memory? My ipod is ten years old and has a zillion songs on it. How much memory is in an iphone or ipad? Both hard drive and RAM?

I'll give streaming more thought. Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2015 at 2:46:28 pm

My phone has 32GB of storage and 3GB of RAM, but there is little chance I will ever download a large HD video file. It would take too long (studies show show that loading times longer than 2-5 seconds is too long for mobile video. People think it's not working or are impatient and leave), it would use up valuable data unless I was on wi-fi, it would use up storage space, and after all that, it may not play back properly because it is an obscure format that my phone or tablet can't play. Why not stream it where it is more secure and you are all but guaranteed it will play smoothly?

I'm not sure who your target audience is, but not streaming video will severely limit how many people it reaches.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2015 at 2:53:17 pm

Well, to be honest, a long time ago, this project began as video for a computer. But then the whole mobile thing happened. It's only in the last five months that I realized I had to jam everything onto a little screen or give up at least half the market. I was not happy about that! If streaming is more secure, I'll do it. That's your strongest argument. I wanna keep my stuff off youtube forever. But I don't understand why they have so much memory if people don't use it. I never thought about download times. Hmm...

I don't think they would leave. They just paid! They must know the Apple store will not let them down.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]