ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Extruding an object through a plane

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean McLean
Extruding an object through a plane
on Aug 25, 2015 at 12:34:50 am

Hello,

New to AE, but learning the basics quick. I'm working on putting together an introductory scene to my aerial videos, and I would like to extrude my logo through the plane. I've already generated a 3D version, and figured out basically how I want the rest of the intro to work. Please see here for what I'm working on:

Basically, I'd like the first 1-2 seconds to be of that logo emerging from the white background, like something being extruded out of a playdough machine.

Any tips for how to make this work? I tried to push it through the Z-Plane, but there doesn't seem to be any wiggle room there. It's either all the way in front of the background layer, or all the way behind it.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Extruding an object through a plane
on Aug 25, 2015 at 2:00:52 pm

How did you make your 3d logo, with 3D render in AE, or is it from another program?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Aug 25, 2015 at 2:01:26 pm

How did you make the 3D text? Ray-traced? Element 3D? If your text is 3D (which it pretty clearly is) and your white background is a solid layer in 3D space, then, in theory, you should be able to achieve what you are aiming for.

If you used a plug-in like element 3D, you could always make the background in Element and animate the push through with the plugin's animation controls.

Return to posts index

Sean McLean
on Aug 27, 2015 at 12:19:54 am

3D Text was made with Element 3D. I've tried it both with the white background layer (which is 3D), and also with creating a 3D layer that was extruded a smidge. In either case, when moving the logo through the Z space, it's either entirely viewable, or entirely blocked. For example, when I tried with the extruded layer, I made that .25 thick, and my logo 3.0.

Here's an example using the background. Completely blocked at 0. Completely visible at .1.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/igkiot4hactd6i1/z%3D0.PNG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajgishkp2810sm6/z%3D.1.PNG?dl=0

Return to posts index

Sean McLean
on Aug 27, 2015 at 2:04:11 pm

Figured it out! Suggestion nailed it, I added the plane as another object in Element 3D, which allowed me to get the extrusion effect.

Now time to redo the rest :) Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]