ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Jumpy Layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert KeyesJumpy Layers
by on Jul 17, 2015 at 2:24:13 pm

So, when I have a layer, it jumps around when, in my mind, it should be completely still. I know this is a basic thing, but I can't figure out why it's even happening.

Literally only the position changes:

Position @4s: 1227.0, 540.0
Position @6s: 1227.0, 540.0

So, surely the layer should stay where it is, right? The video below is just me messing around, but it's a continual problem and I don't quite understand why it's happening.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Jumpy Layers
by on Jul 17, 2015 at 5:23:55 pm

You are using bezier keyframes. These ease in & out and it's causing overshoot in your case. Select the position keyframes, right click on one and choose Linear.

You can also adjust the movement by opening up the graph window and manually adjusting the ease in and out.

Here's some more help... Why does my layer (camera) move back and forth between keyframes of equal ...

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Jumpy Layers
by on Jul 18, 2015 at 4:01:53 pm

You can use the Toggle Hold Keyframe command on the incoming keyframe where you want the layer want to stay still. One right-click and drag and you're done.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved