ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects and (old) Mac set up

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Doggett-Williams
After Effects and (old) Mac set up
on Jul 8, 2015 at 4:25:55 am

Just wondering if anyone knows if my now old Mac 2 x 2.26ghz Quad core Intel xeon with 32gig of Ram will be able to play back After Effects CS6 in real time? I've seen numerous tuts about setting up real time playback and implemented them but it is still agonisingly slow. I'm about to go out and an SSD drive but thought I would throw the question out there first. Processor speed is 1066. Using OS X 10.9.2

John Doggett-Williams
http://www.fineeyeproductions.com

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: After Effects and (old) Mac set up
on Jul 8, 2015 at 12:10:48 pm

What do you mean "playback" in real time. After effects will do a RAM preview, where it temporarily renders a number of frames to RAM(total depends on amount of RAM on your computer). But that's the only real-time playback and you still need to wait for each frame to render and that depends on your CPU.

If you just mean hitting the play button(spacebar) and playing...AE has NEVER done that it RT.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 9, 2015 at 4:57:06 pm

[John Cuevas] "If you just mean hitting the play button(spacebar) and playing...AE has NEVER done that it RT."

Until CC 2015, that is. But, even then, it probably needs to run through it first and cache everything.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

John Doggett-Williams
on Jul 10, 2015 at 1:24:03 am

Thanks for your input. Any thoughts on whether my 2009 Mac Pro 4, 1 Quad core Intel xeon 2 x 2.26ghz zwith 32gig of Ram can get up to speed render time is far to slow at the moment. Will an SSD drive make much difference?

John Doggett-Williams
http://www.fineeyeproductions.com

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 10, 2015 at 1:34:00 pm

An SSD will help a lot of things, yes.

A bottleneck of your system is likely your processors. A lot of things in AE are still single-threaded. That means that you are limited by the clock speed of a single core in your processor and your clock speed...isn't super.

Now, AE's structure is starting to change - the majority of the AE team has been working on rewriting AE's core code to make it properly multithreaded. We can see the first fruits of that in CC 2015 with the user interface being separate from the renderer. But it's kind of a step back in some ways because the old multiprocessing isn't compatible with the new architecture. Often CC 2014 will render things faster than CC 2015 (as mentioned here [link]).

So, if you're using CC 2015 (AE version 13.5), I'd recommend trying CC 2014 (AE version 13.2) - which is included with your Creative Cloud subscription. (AE versions 11 and 12 are included with CC as well, by the way.) See if the multiprocessing helps.

Although, multiprocessing was easily disabled by some expressions and effects...it was a pretty bad kludge, so it still might not help.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]