ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion blur working on translations but not rotations!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry SmithMotion blur working on translations but not rotations!
by on Jul 3, 2015 at 11:28:32 am

This is really strange. I have a very simple situation. I have a precomp that is simply a solid. Motion blur and 3d are not clicked in the precomp. Then, in the main comp, I have a mask on that precomp. I have collapse transformations, motion blur, and 3d all clicked. Now, that simple layer is rotated, then translated. The strange thing is that motion blur only kicks in for the translations. It does nothing for the rotations. If I unclick collapse transformations however, it works for both! What the heck is going on?? (For this simple case, it doesn't matter, but for other cases, I can't turn off collapse transformations.)

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Motion blur working on translations but not rotations!
by on Jul 3, 2015 at 1:52:56 pm

The collapse 3d option to my understanding, takes the layer control information from the layers inside your preschool. So, to fix the situation, try to clock the motion blur on the original file or powerful the whole thing and add a pixel motion blur to it.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jerry SmithRe: Motion blur working on translations but not rotations!
by on Jul 3, 2015 at 2:08:31 pm

Thanks Derek.

But I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand either "clock the motion blur" or "powerful the whole thing".

I have been doing some experiments. Even when I turn on 3d and motion blur for the pre-comp simple solid (maybe this is what you mean by "clock the motion blur"), it doesn't change anything. Also, collapsing transformations does change the translational blur a little bit. But it still looks good. But collapsing transformations seems to almost completely totally remove the motion blur in the rotations. I can sorta convince myself that there is a tiny bit of blur, but even if I speed up the rotation, it doesn't increase, so confusion remains. Eventually, I may have to just get rid of motion blur for my layers and just apply it at the very end to the whole thing. But first, I would like to figure out what the heck is going on.

Also, I might add that the text that is on top and parented to this layer is rasterized and blurs just fine!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Motion blur working on translations but not rotations!
by on Jul 3, 2015 at 3:54:37 pm

I think Derek's spell correct messed up his reply. Think he meant "check the motion blur" and "precomp the whole thing". What he is saying is step into the precomp, and check motion blur for the layers inside the precomp.

What are your motion blur settings for you final comp, because if you are getting some blur in the rotation, it might just be that your blur settings are set high enough currently for what you are trying to achieve. To adjust the motion blur settings, press cntl+K and click the advanced tab.

If that doesn't increase your motion blur, please do a screen grab of your timeline and comp and post back here.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Motion blur working on translations but not rotations!
by on Jul 3, 2015 at 4:13:31 pm

Golly, sorry about that.

I was on my phone and the autocorrect went haywire apparently. What I meant to say was: check* the motion blur on the original layer, or precomp* the whole think and apply a pixel motion blur to it.

Sorry for the confusion. I just wasn't near a computer to type it.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2015 at 5:12:13 pm

Like I say, I have been able to isolate it to quite a simple situation. The precomp is super simple. Just a solid. The comp is just that precomp with a mask.

I did play with changing the blur settings under the advanced tab. And yes, it increases the blur for the translation. But again, for the rotation, there is almost no effect. I can only get rotation blur if I turn off collapse transformations.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2015 at 5:46:40 pm

Also, I just created a solid layer and set it up just the same way, and voila, there is no issue. Rotations have motion blur. But, when the solid is in a simple precomp, then AE seems to behave differently. Moreover, I noticed that even the translations aren't right. They look blurry, but the blur seems to flow in the wrong direction. I just want to emphasize how simple the precomp is. It only exists so that the color can be changed quickly. No matter what the settings for collapse, blur, 3d in the precomp, I only get rotation blur in the main comp if collapse is turned off. And even with it turned on, the translation blur comes from the wrong direction.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Motion blur working on translations but not rotations!
by on Jul 3, 2015 at 6:17:13 pm

In the precomp did you set the solid layer's motion blur on?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2015 at 6:36:49 pm

Yeah, John, I tried everything. And the global motion blur light is on. Maybe I should try turning that off? lol. I guess I haven't tried that yet. But yeah, I have turned them all on and off in various permutations.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2015 at 6:42:12 pm

Isn't motion blur really a pixel thing anyway? As isn't collapsing transformations really a vector thing? So, I probably shouldn't expect them to get along well together. I guess I was just confused because I did seem to get some motion blur for translations even with collapse transformations ticked. So maybe that is really what needs to be explained--the presence of motion blur with translations despite collapse trans being clicked. That, rather than the absence of motion blur with rotations.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]