ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Minimal camera? No camera?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Smith
Minimal camera? No camera?
on Jul 3, 2015 at 9:04:19 am

First a general question:

Suppose you have a 1920 by 1080 comp. And you make it 3D. Now, perspective kicks in. So, far so good. You like the way everything looks. But then for no good reason really, you decide to add a camera. What are the camera settings that don't change the way anything looks? Relatedly, is there someplace that I can see the cameraless settings? I'd like to compare the cameraless "settiings" with the camera settings. I got a feeling that the cameraless settings put the viewer about -2600 out?

Second, what happens if you have a comp with a camera inside another comp with a camera and you collapse transformations? Does AE ignore the inner camera? Or do things get super warped? I'm having trouble working with my camera(s) because they do so little. The first designer put them for reasons that are no longer really in play.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
Re: Minimal camera? No camera?
on Jul 3, 2015 at 2:53:14 pm

I believe ae made 50mm the standard, so change your camera focal length to 50. Then just turn the camera on and off to check

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Jul 3, 2015 at 5:48:11 pm

Yes, that does seem to be the default. Not sure how they converted mm to pixels. But more importantly, what about the other settings, such as aperture, etc.?

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
on Jul 3, 2015 at 6:22:02 pm

all the aperture does is adjust the depth of field. If you don't want to rack focus or blur the background/foreground then just turn off DOF in the camera settings and don't worry about the aperture. AE has swapped the aperture from a typical camera: so the larger the number the larger the aperture, the smaller the DOF. On a real camera the F/stops are reversed, the smaller the Fstop the larger the aperture, the smaller the DOF, just and FYI.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Jul 3, 2015 at 6:44:35 pm

Right, OK. I just wanted to make sure that I had it right. Like I say, my cameras do so little, I was trying to figure out whether I need them. And now I think I can answer and say I don't. There were plans to use them I think but those plans fell by the wayside.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jul 14, 2015 at 11:43:33 pm

[Jerry Smith] "whether I need them"

You do.

Here's a technique.

Make your camera. Make two nulls. Turn the nulls to 3D.

Name one null "Camera Truck" and name the other null "Camera Rotator."

Show the Position on the Camera Truck. On the camera hit A then shift-P. Hold option as you click the stop watch, and pick whip the A to the position on the camera truck, and then pick whip the P to the position on the camera truck. You won't see anything, until you set the Z value of the position on the camera truck to -2667.7 (on the 50mm camera). last Parent the camera to the Rotator. Hit r, and swivel the camera, set keyframes, move the camera all around.

It's the most efficient way to multiplane.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]