ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is my font supposed to be this blurry?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Smith
Is my font supposed to be this blurry?
on Jul 3, 2015 at 8:52:00 am

I have some 90 point Century Gothic text. It is sorta like Helvetica. And I noticed that even the horizontal and vertical lines make use of two shades of grey on two lines of pixels as we transition from the black character to the white background. I thought this was the vector age. Why is that? One shade of grey is to be expected because of fractions of pixels. But why two?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
Re: Is my font supposed to be this blurry?
on Jul 3, 2015 at 12:05:30 pm

OK, I see that this is due to turning on 3d. But why should that make the text blurry? Is there any way I can clean this up?

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
on Jul 3, 2015 at 1:47:54 pm

Do you have a camera in the comp? Check to see if your text is in focus. Also, check to see if the continuously rasterizr layer option is available, and if it is, check it. You could also right click the text and turn it into shape layers or masks for further control.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Jul 3, 2015 at 2:09:53 pm

This happens with the camera off and with rasterize/collapse on.

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
on Jul 3, 2015 at 2:15:05 pm

Check to make sure you are viewing it at max quality and not quarter or half. If it isn't that send me a few screen shots.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Jul 3, 2015 at 2:32:42 pm

That is about a 71pt font that is scaled down to 51% and then brought into z=-2050. That is the top of a bolded "I". I also have the same problem elsewhere with other font sizes. It seems to be purely a 3d problem because it does disappear when I turn off 3d for text at z=0.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jul 3, 2015 at 3:45:57 pm

Which render engine are you using (Ray Trace or Classic), press cntl+k and switch to the advance tab. If it's classic, please post a screen grab of your timeline and comp please.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Jul 3, 2015 at 4:26:08 pm

I had been so busy with other issues that I failed to give much thought to text. Now I realize that neither the camera nor the z value are relevant. Almost all my text is a bit blurry.

I am using Classic. I tried Ray Trace briefly, but to no avail. Adobe explains that Ray Trace doesn't help with text.

How can I see how blurry the render is? I can get a .mov, but I can't seem to zoom in with the default mac viewer to see what is going on.

I'm thinking that either this is a well known unfortunate fact about 3d text OR it is some simple setting OR it will look better when rendered.

(I'm pretty clueless about rendering. Despite about 200 hours of AE, I've only rendered about 10 things.)

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jul 3, 2015 at 4:30:16 pm

Jerry, when you are saying the text is blurry, are you zooming in to see it? And I mean, magnifying the comp window to 800% or 1600%, because if that's the case the text, everything will become blurry.

Set your comp viewer to 100%, then either use a camera or select your text layer, press "s" and scale up the text. You will see it's not blurry at all.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Jul 3, 2015 at 5:02:59 pm

Thanks John for your patient. And yes, scaling up the text makes me want to believe everything is going to be fine. Buttt, I have worked very hard to make all my edges razor sharp, except for a few that are allowed to have a one pixel transition from black to white. I've spent most of the last two weeks zoomed in to the MAX. And now I see text that has a two pixel transition and I am not happy about that. Not happy at all. Furthemore, it definitely goes away when I turn off 3d. Moreover, even in 3d, depending on position, scale, etc, sometimes it goes away.

I'm just confused about something. This is the vector age we are living in. And I assume text is vector based. So, if somebody draws some straight text, like "I" or "T" or "L" then I have assumed that there will be no more than a one pixel transition. And even if we put it in 3d, as long as it is parallel or perpendicular to the earth, then again also there will be no more than a one pixel transition.

Am I wrong about that??

If not, then there must be something wrong with some setting. I am assuming that my RAM preview tells me exactly what my rendered version will contain in terms of sharpness.

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Jul 3, 2015 at 11:29:14 pm

It seems to be a very general problem. I'm surprised that there isn't more discussion of it online. So, if you take a solid layer. Then put some 70pt text. Then zoom in to the pixel level. You will see one pixel transition from text to non-text. But if you make the text 3d, then you will see two pixel transitions from text. Why??

And while it is not that easy for me to zoom in on a rendered .mov, and the pixels don't show up the same way, I can still see the traces of those two pixel transitions.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jul 4, 2015 at 2:31:43 pm

Jerry, when you use the zoom to get a closer view, AE shows you exactly what you would see if you zoomed into a finished rendered file, and that's interpreted scaled up pixels. It will not look perfect. It's just like if you scale up a bit map photo. If you have created your text correctly, it will render perfectly and will be sharp.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Jul 4, 2015 at 4:37:09 pm

Hey John,
Thanks so much for the help. I'm really at wits end here and may need to find and hire an expert to tell me what is going on. I have two different problems. One is in the other thread about rotations and translations. The other is this one with text. It is very simple. I create some 70 pt text. I switch on the 3d box. And then my vector text needs two rows of pixels to transition from black to white. It doesn't make any sense. You don't even need a background to see it (although it is easier on the eyes than the checkerboard). You just create some text and click on 3d. You will see it immediately softens as you see in my image above. I have no idea why. I'm not sure I follow your last reply. Because I did create the text perfectly. I created in the minimum number of steps. Do you agree that 3d makes text softer?

Return to posts index

Julien Herman
on Dec 17, 2015 at 3:28:14 pm

Hi,

I am having the exact same issue and I feel upset about that.
I know it's been quite a long time but did you find any solution about it Jerry ?

If you have created your text correctly, it will render perfectly and will be sharp.

I did the test on a Quicktime Animation rendered file and I'm sorry to say no it is not sharp. Of course, it is not that obvious, but I want my vector layers to be as sharp as they are in 2D.

(I might have a workaround about this when dealing with AI file. I just copy and paste my path from Illutrator to After Effects on a shape layer. I did this with text, turned the layer and 3D and hopefully there was no change on the edges, but it's time consuming and boring...)

http://www.julienherman.com

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Dec 18, 2015 at 7:58:22 am

A simple handling is to add a curves adjustment and pull in the highlight and shadow ends of the alpha channel about 15%.

Return to posts index

Julien Herman
on Dec 18, 2015 at 4:38:10 pm

Nice and easy, this is great tip !!
Thank you Kalle !

http://www.julienherman.com

Return to posts index

matt didd
on Mar 22, 2017 at 11:21:01 am

Hi Kalle

May I ask whereabouts in After effects would I be able to 'pull in the highlight and shadow ends of the alpha channel' as mentioned in your post.

I tried using the option: Effect > Color Correction > Shadow/Highlight but it didn't appear to work.

Any help would be much appreciated as I also have 3D text that is blurry.

Many thanks

Matt

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 22, 2017 at 3:09:54 pm

Read the post a bit more carefully, they suggest using the Curves effect and working on the alpha channel there. Note how you can work on the overall RGB, but you can also choose to work specifically on R, B, B, or A.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]