ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Why does opt + ] trimming get me an extra frame?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry SmithWhy does opt + ] trimming get me an extra frame?
by on Jun 17, 2015 at 11:00:27 pm

Been driving me crazy for a few weeks now. I put the current time indicator at t = x, click on a layer, press opt + ], and the region gets trimmed to the t = x + 1 frame. It's really been slowing me down as I often have regions that can't overlap. Is there a setting I can change somewhere? Or is this a known bug? Or--please don't answer yes--is it a feature? If it is supposed to be a good thing, how can I modify my workflow?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Why does opt + ] trimming get me an extra frame?
by on Jun 18, 2015 at 12:03:25 am

You're not thinking about frames the right way.

When you hit opt-], you're telling AE, "Trim this clip at the end of this frame."

Well, frames are one frame long. The timeline cursor is at the BEGINNING of the frame. So naturally, AE trims to the end of that frame.

When you think like AE thinks, it makes sense.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jerry SmithRe: Why does opt + ] trimming get me an extra frame?
by on Jun 18, 2015 at 12:26:21 am

Yeah, I figured it was something like that. But doesn't that cause all manner of workflow problems? Suppose I want one layer to begin after another layer finishes. So I put the current time indicator where I want the transition. Then I click on the beginning layer, and type opt + [. Then I click on the ending layer, and type opt + ]. But I have overlap. So I have to go in an manually adjust the layer.

I'm more of an audio guy. And a moment in time has zero duration. So, when I cut, the music is over!

So if the frame rate is 25fps, and somebody wants a clip that is 2 seconds long, is that 50 or 51 frames?

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Why does opt + ] trimming get me an extra frame?
by on Jun 22, 2015 at 3:29:26 pm

After Effects is not an editing program. It is a compositing and motion graphics program. As Dave says, you gotta think like that in AE.

Two other short cuts to help you : i will display the first frame of a layer and o will display the last frame of the layer.

Select a layer by hitting the number pad number, 1 (will choose layer 1).
i will display the first frame
2 will select layer 2
Option-[ will "cut" layer two so it's first frame will display exactly where the playhead is, and since you chose 1 and i, layer 1 and layer 2 will line up.

now, for the last frames:

Also: this is worth the $10

2 seconds @ 25 fps is 50 frames, but frame 1 is actually frame 0, so your time line is 0-49 (in fames). And it gets more ridiculous in North America where we have fractions of frames. Video electronics are signals measured in Megahertz and we use frames as a convenience -- your audio is also measure in samples.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved