ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Deliverable Strategy

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott WitthausDeliverable Strategy
by on Jun 14, 2015 at 4:21:07 pm

Hey all -

Just getting into AE CC and really liking it. For my first real project I am creating a 30-45 second teaser for a documentary that is in the funding stage. This teaser will be relatively basic, consisting of talking heads layered over treated/effected background images with important facts as text objects drifting in an out. My question is about a strategy to start this project. Is it better to bring each piece of interview video in separately and then stitch them together in AE as a comp and build off of that? Or do I build separate comps for each talking head and stitch them together at the end using an overall treatment to blend? Or export various pieces that I take back into X or Premiere and edit together? Sorry for the newbie question, but any constructive advice is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Deliverable Strategy
by on Jun 14, 2015 at 9:57:09 pm

A lot of it depends on your preference and the specific graphic needs you may have. I tend to like editing the footage together in Premiere and then send it over to After Effects via Dynamic Link. That way you can still tweak the editing while adding in effects.

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Deliverable Strategy
by on Jun 15, 2015 at 6:48:29 pm

[Daniel Waldron] "editing the footage together in Premiere and then send it over to After Effects via Dynamic Link. "

There are a couple of ways to do this, but in all cases duplicate your PP sequence and rename it PROJECT (DL).

One way: Select the clips in the sequence right click > replace with AE composition.

Another way: Project > Project Manager the selected sequence. Import that into AE.

It's also easy to overlook a couple of settings preferences to make Dynamic Link faster:

1. You need a drive that is not your system drive and is not your media drive, preferably a thunderbolt SSD, plug that in, and make a folder on it called COMMON

2. In Premiere Pro > preferences > Media > Media cache Files > Browse... to the drive in Step 1. and also browse to the same folder for the Media Cache Database.

3. In After Effects > Preferences > Media & Disk Cache > Check Enable Disk Cache and set the Maximum Disk Cache Size to a big number. Mine's at 250 GB. Choose folder > navigate to the same Common folder listed above. Same thing with Conformed Media Cache and Cache.

Then as you MoGraph in AE, you can choose Composition > Cache Work Area in Background and when you head over to PP, the files are available to PP to load quickly.

This means AE and PP are sharing files between them and you will gain a noticeable amount of render time when rendering Dynamic Link in Premiere.

Return to posts index

Scott WitthausRe: Deliverable Strategy
by on Jun 17, 2015 at 1:54:42 pm

I would prefer to edit the pieces in FCPX, so....

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved