ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Duplicating instances of a layer on an animated path/mask?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael DuffDuplicating instances of a layer on an animated path/mask?
by on Jun 11, 2015 at 5:17:44 pm

Hi, (sorry this is a double post... but I don't think the AE techniques forum is frequented so much)

I've been out of AE for a while now and just trying to do an effect that I think should be straightforward but I can't work it out! I've googled around but still can't find the solution.

Basically, I have a mask that starts as one shape and then changes to another shape ... say, square to circle. This part is OK.

But I want to a layer duplicated many times along the path so that it is a path made up of little images. Then when the mask is animated the layers all move with it. Something like the vegas effect but instances of a layer instead of the dashes.

any help most appreciated! thanks!

Michael Duff -
Bearcage Productions, Australia
http://www.bearcage.com.au

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Duplicating instances of a layer on an animated path/mask?
by on Jun 11, 2015 at 6:16:21 pm

You might have to use a shape layer and motion tracking to pull this off.

You'd make a shape layer, and you can modify the stroke to a dashed line. The dashes -- which I'm pretty sure can be as small as dots -- represent the positions of those other layers. Then you'd animate the shape layer to its... well, new shape.

Motion track the dots. Apply the tracks to the other layers. Turn off the stroke. There you go.

Now mind you, I've never tried this trick. But it sounds reasonable.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael DuffRe: Duplicating instances of a layer on an animated path/mask?
by on Jun 11, 2015 at 8:10:22 pm

thanks for the reply dave. Good idea to try motion tracking ... my only thought with this is that orient along path would not work. I think that considering it is just a one off animation I might do it manually ... I was just thinking there might have been a simple effect or expression that I was missing...

thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Duplicating instances of a layer on an animated path/mask?
by on Jun 15, 2015 at 6:53:25 pm

Do you use Expressions? This is a prebuilt Adobe expression in their Expression Sampler project called Follow. Let me know if you need additional help. The expression sampler is easy to find via google.

EDIT: Wanted to include the Effects Panel too.

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Link to AE Expressions Sampler
by on Jun 15, 2015 at 7:01:48 pm

It turns out it is hard to find, so here's mine:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2S2b7kN6I8iWlhIeVBYUS1jTzQ&authuser=0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]